What's new

WAN packet overhead - QoS - Virgin Media

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Hi,

Which profile do I want when connecting to Virgin Media (ISP) with their Hub as Modem, and Asus as router?

I know its not the original propose of the question but I miss a documentation about this package overhead thing. I dont have a clue about whats the correct option to me except its related to pppoe.

Which profile do I want when connecting to Virgin Media (ISP) with their Hub as Modem, and Asus as router?
Well as you have configured the Hub as a DOCSIS cable modem I guess you would select, er... Cable (DOCSIS).

The better question is what kind of connection is it, adsl,vdsl,cable,fiber optic. Also pppoe, ipoe, vc-mux or lllc. Full Bridged or half bridged?
Needs more details.

I know its not the original propose of the question but I miss a documentation about this package overhead thing. I dont have a clue about whats the correct option to me except its related to pppoe.
WAN Pacet overhead affects qos traffic shaping, well how accurate it is at detemning the badndwidth you have by factoring overheads such as atm and other protocols.

The better question is what kind of connection is it, adsl,vdsl,cable,fiber optic. Also pppoe, ipoe, vc-mux or lllc. Full Bridged or half bridged?
Needs more details.
These are my choices:
upload_2017-7-11_19-17-27.png

Needs more details.

I'm really laic to "network topology".

Here is all info I know about my connection:
- fiber connection;
- pppoe? I have to provide an user/pass;

No idea about atm, bridget, etc.

Any suggestions?

- fiber connection;

Any suggestions?

If unsure, just leave it to 0. The actual impact of this parameter should be minimal, it's for people wanting to fully optimize their configuration - and it does require some advanced technical know-how.

- fiber connection;

Any suggestions?
Do you have a box on the wall, as in an ntd, if so I think there Ned's to be a preset, I know pppoe has a over head but I'm not sure about the fiber part.

Ah, that explains the option choice being less than I'd seen (I must have been reading the beta thread, oops)
Also the changes as far as i know, only affect routers with adaptive qos, and yes its 380.67 beta, you forgot to mention your router model, and which qos you wanted to use.

There is no packet overhead with Virgin Media in modem mode (I use to use VM for a long time), like almost all cable connections.

Last edited:
There is no packet overhead with Virgin Media (I use to use VM for a long time), like almost all cable connections.
cable does have packet over heads even if they are small

Virgin media in UK used to do ADSL connections which would be different, but the current SuperHubs or the Hub 3.0 (which definitely is not super) have a modem mode which is a transparent half-bridge mode using wan type dhcp with full 1500 byte packets. The Hub 3.0 is an Arris device with the buggy Intel Puma 6 chipset, earlier superhubs were Netgear/Broadcom. I don't think you can do anything in your router to fix the terrible latency jitter of the Hub 3.0 ... or oversold overloaded VM networks!

@mstombs so you are recommending that the overhead should be 0 for virgin media/sh3 in modem mode?
And yes. SH3/Arris/Puma6/latency spikes/DOS/Aaarrggghh

Yes your right, but in this case, using modem mode its a standard ethernet connection, no overhead.
still protol over heads, do exist even in modem only mode theres calculations out there for it.

@mstombs so you are recommending that the overhead should be 0 for virgin media/sh3 in modem mode?
And yes. SH3/Arris/Puma6/latency spikes/DOS/Aaarrggghh

Its definitely not the same overhead as pppoe or ATM frames in DSL connections. There was a significant level of arp traffic when I last investigated. seems crazy they do not have some form of static arp, lots of low level WHO HAS messages from the ISP core devices.

I don't currently use QoS because I need the hardware acceleration on an N66 to make full use of 200Mbps download and not many users, but I wonder what was going on this evening?

The yellow spikes are the Intel Puma issue. at least I seem to have little packet loss at the moment....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!