What's new

WAN Performance with CTF disable on newer AX units

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samw5

Occasional Visitor
I'm running an RT-AC88u currently on the latest Merlin FW. Up until recently, I had QoS, device block scheduling, enabled.
My ISP recently bumped up our connection to 500 and I wasn't able to get anything near this with all the bell and whistles enabled.

I started disabling features and once CTF was enabled I was able to finally get the provisioned speed.
Now I'm still looking at using block scheduling mainly... just doesn't seem to work reliably with CTF enabled.

My question is whether the newer AX units would perform any better with CTF disabled compared to my existing AC router (looking at AX11000). 1.4Ghz dual core vs 1.8Ghz quad, just not sure if this really would make this much difference in real world.

Now I'm still looking at using block scheduling mainly... just doesn't seem to work reliably with CTF enabled.
This was a known limitation of the old CTF. Newer routers based on the HND platform (anything from the RT-AC86U on) use a completely different method of hardware acceleration that doesn't suffer the same problems. That's not to say there aren't some caveats depending on how you're using AiProtection and QoS, but on a 500 Mbps connection you shouldn't have any problems with most of the AX routers.

Isn't the RT-AC88u newer than the AC86u??? If so do I need to disable CTF and start testing again?

This was a known limitation of the old CTF. Newer routers based on the HND platform (anything from the RT-AC86U on) use a completely different method of hardware acceleration that doesn't suffer the same problems. That's not to say there aren't some caveats depending on how you're using AiProtection and QoS, but on a 500 Mbps connection you shouldn't have any problems with most of the AX routers.
I can say from first hand experience this is true. The sad part is Asus still has the old misleading warnings inside the GUI about certain features not accurately working with hardware acceleration enabled; however on the newer models, one will quickly find that this is not the case.

Based on the feedback I'm thinking moving to an rt-ax88u since it seems like the most straight forward upgrade.
Ax11000 or ax89u don't seem to offer that much better perf compare to the ax88u.