What's new

WAN Question with 68U behind FiOS Quantum Modem/Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fifty50

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, probably a relatively quick solution, but figured I'd ask. My current setup are 3 68U's (converted from Tmobile 1900's) running Merlin 380.69_2, one each on the 3 floors of my house. The main 68U is hardwired to the FiOS quantum router; which has its radios powered off. FiOS router is 192.168.1.1 and I setup static IP to the main 68U as 192.168.1.2. on the main 68U, it shows the WAN IP as 192.168.1.2, and DHCP pool that it gives out is 192.168.2.x. Main router IP is 192.168.2.1 and I set the 2 additional 68U's in repeater mode on each floor, and IP's are 192.168.2.2, and 192.168.2.2.

If I go to setup OpenVPN or ddns, it prevents me because the WAN is a private IP, and not the public ISP that Verizon gives me. thoughts on correct setup?

Also, will WDS give me any benefits? Also, before someone suggests AiMesh, I had it setup when I had two 68U's, but the node would always drop and cause video streaming to drop until it reconnected to the main node. i contacted the vendor and they sent me another, so that's why I have 3, and decided to try Merlin FW and two nodes in repeater mode.

Two questions before offering a solution:

1. Do you have TV from FIOS?
2. Based on the issue with OpenVPN you are describing are you trying to set up a VPN server?

Two questions before offering a solution:

1. Do you have TV from FIOS?
2. Based on the issue with OpenVPN you are describing are you trying to set up a VPN server?

1. No TV from FiOS. So I know I can technically ditch the FiOS router and go straight Ethernet from ONT to the 68U. But the issue is that the ONT is in the garage and I'd have to poke holes to run Ethernet to the 68U. Although I'm curious how signal would be if I put the main 68U in the garage, it's currently just on the other side of the wall.

2. Yes, VPN server.

1. No TV from FiOS. So I know I can technically ditch the FiOS router and go straight Ethernet from ONT to the 68U. But the issue is that the ONT is in the garage and I'd have to poke holes to run Ethernet to the 68U. Although I'm curious how signal would be if I put the main 68U in the garage, it's currently just on the other side of the wall.

2. Yes, VPN server.

Running the cable is certainly the simplest and probably best solution if you want to run a VPN server. The more centrally the Wifi AP/router is located in your home the better the WiFi coverage will be.

If you want to try something else another firmware such as Tomato may allow you to set up a VPN server on your 68U even if it is double NATed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!