1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

WAN reconnect after cable failure

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Pergola Fabio, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Pergola Fabio

Pergola Fabio Regular Contributor

For some reasons, when there are constuctions outside, they always hit the internet cable, dont ask my why, second time this year already, there was still power though :)

so obviously, internet was down, red light also on asus, quite normal
    after 2 hours, thex fixed the cable , also my cable modem was connected again, i saw all lights on
    but for some reason, my asus was not reconnecting, its just a typical connection WAN side, is just a dhcp client of the modem

so it was disconnected, and not connecting again, complained about something like, dhcp funcions modem not ready... , so i thought , ok , i reboot the modem, still no luck
    so rebooted asus, and all was OK again
    this is already second time

shouldnt the router not reconnect again?

2. Pergola Fabio

oh, and btw, this time i was running merlin, previously i was on official asus

3. Pergola Fabio

damn , this nights, again a cable outside issue
    so i wake up, still no internet, again i saw a disconnectd status, i just had to disable/enable that green slider on this screenshot below
    so turn off internet , and turn on again, and back internet!
    this isnt normal behaviour?? a router should auto connect? doesnt it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zh7r23uo8mcys2k/asus1.JPG?dl=0

4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults after flashing different firmware?

The strange glitch you're reporting suggests to me it may have been a while (or even never).

Moving from Asus official to RMerlin requires a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure the router and connect to the ISP. See the links in my signature below.

5. Pergola Fabio

Hi, upgraded from original Asus to Merlin, about 2 weeks ago, when Merlin was out of beta... And did a colplcom wipe and everything is manually configured again from scratch, no baxkba files used