What's new

WAN speed drops on Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siddharta

New Around Here
Hi
My WAN speeds on Asus RT-AC68U (fw Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66_4) drops to 20-50% after ca 1 hr use. I'm on a 200 Mbit/s fiber connection with a 5e cable (I've tried other 5e cables). If I measure the speed directly from the fiber I get 100+% connection speed at the same time it's 20-50% through the router.

If I restart the router it's back to 100+%. I have made a factory reset, cleared the nvram and reformatted the jffs to no avail, after ca an hour the speed drops to 20-50%. On stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.380.7378, it's the same result.

Any ideas besides getting a new router?

Thanks

Hi
My WAN speeds on Asus RT-AC68U (fw Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66_4) drops to 20-50% after ca 1 hr use. I'm on a 200 Mbit/s fiber connection with a 5e cable (I've tried other 5e cables). If I measure the speed directly from the fiber I get 100+% connection speed at the same time it's 20-50% through the router.

If I restart the router it's back to 100+%. I have made a factory reset, cleared the nvram and reformatted the jffs to no avail, after ca an hour the speed drops to 20-50%. On stock firmware, 3.0.0.4.380.7378, it's the same result.

Thanks
I am interested in how this develops before i commit to the fw and reconfig my network. I have the same setup verbatim.

I'm setup verbatim and interested in how this develops before committing to the firmware and overhaul for tunneling.

Good timing on your query!

Are you using QOS and ipv6? Any other of the Trend Micro tools?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

No, I'm not using QOS and/or ipv6 nor any other Trend Micro thingies. I should have said that the problem is there after factory reset and bare minimum setup.

@Cyree - it's the same for me on stock firmware

In another post there was a recommendation to disable NAT acceleration. Doing this made the speed 100+% again but after ca 30 min back to 30%. When I put NAT Acc back to auto the same thing - up to 100+% and after a while down to 40%.

It's very confusing, to me anyway

In another post there was a recommendation to disable NAT acceleration. Doing this made the speed 100+% again but after ca 30 min back to 30%. When I put NAT Acc back to auto the same thing - up to 100+% and after a while down to 40%.

It's very confusing, to me anyway

Are you sure it's not someone connecting to your router, and saturating your connection with downloads or uploads?

Hi

Thanks
I have a 1Gbps connection and it never degrades after days on the same firmware. It's able to achieve about 800-850mbps down and up consistently. I really think it's something with your ISP or someone else loading up your link.

Are you sure it's not someone connecting to your router, and saturating your connection with downloads or uploads?
As sure as I can be ;) The problem is still there when I turn off wifi and only has the one wired lan connection (same as before with other setup changes the speed is 100% directly after wifi is turned off and stays that way ca 20 min then down to 30% and the same when I turn wifi back on)

I have a 1Gbps connection and it never degrades after days on the same firmware. It's able to achieve about 800-850mbps down and up consistently. I really think it's something with your ISP or someone else loading up your link.
If I test the speed directly to the fiber (bypassing the router) it's 100% even though it was 20-50% when connected through the router just before

I signed up on this forum just to give feedback on this thread - I'm seeing the same thing. N66U, 380.66_2

The drop I'm seeing is from a solid 175Mbps to 80-100Mbps.

Let me know if I can help provide input.

---------

Edit: I rebooted the N66U, tested to ensure it was working at 175Mbps, then I tested the speed after 4.5 hours of surfing-level bandwidth usage, it was still 175Mbps. Updated to 380.66_4, will see if the issue continues to happen.

I'm guessing it might be related to bandwidth consumed - heavy users might see the issue crop up sooner than light users like me.

Last edited:
Aldo, some ISP are sneaky with their bandwidth Management.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If I test the speed directly to the fiber (bypassing the router) it's 100% even though it was 20-50% when connected through the router just before

Have you looked at the "performance tuning" tab on merlin f/w ? It shows temperatures. (no such tab on stock f/w) If I recall correctly the wifi temps I have seen are 40-50C for 2.4 and 5ghz respectively and the CPU temp is around the 60's. Have seen it as hi as 67-68 and as low as 60C on my slow by comparision 15/2 connection. If its much much higher after an hour of your testing that might indicate an issue. I am not familiar with the hardware of this device but it would not be the first to self-limit performance if the temp is out of range. You could ask Asus tech support about that if high temp is observed.