What's new

WAN throughput local is faster than wired or wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigev

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC88U running 386.1_2, I recently did a factory reset and configured it all up manual from scratch as I'd been through a few f/w upgrades over the last 6 months and had never done that.

Side note; I was surprised that new config options appeared after I factory reset! Anyway ..

I have a dual WAN setup, Ethernet and USB with Ethernet being my primary. I am experiencing quite an odd, or maybe everyone has this, performance issue. If I do a WAN throughput test locally on the router just using the Ookla service in one test I get say, ~60Mbps down, ~15Mbps up. If I execute the same test on a wireless or wired client using the same host for the test my throughput halves in speed if not more, ~18Mbps down and ~12Mbps up.

I get the same results if I disable Dual WAN and just have the Ethernet WAN enabled.

I cannot say I noticed this on ASUS firmware as I'd never performed that sort of test before.

At first I thought that this was Wireless vs Wired clients, though this still surprises me as I am in the same room as the router and 802.11ac @ 80Mhz on wireless. The fact that both transport mediums deliver the same WAN performance as each other and both experience performance loss when compared to the local unit itself has me stumped.

No QoS is configured and these tests were performed when only a single wireless or wired client were connected.

I have also attempted the Speedtest simultaneously router and a client. The router was ~40Mb/s down while the client (wired) was only getting ~10Mb/s down. Same destination host.

No other clients connected.

Interested if someone else has this experience and / or any ideas as to what is going on.

Would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
If you run the tests simultaneously, do you get about the same result?

If you run the tests simultaneously, do you get about the same result?

Just did, the router was ~40Mb/s down while the client (wired) was only getting ~10Mb/s down. Same destination host.

No other clients connected.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is it possible that the values presented by the merlin UI are not accurate?