What's new

WAN to LAN throughput test results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vince Edwards

Occasional Visitor
I often refer folk to the resources to be found in SNB. Recently, with 1Gb internet connections becoming increasingly available I have referred associates to the test results for router WAN to LAN throughput. Naturally, a connection up to 1Gb requires a router with a WAN to LAN throughput close to 1000 Mbps. The current list includes tested examples of throughputs over 900Mbps, but it is outdated. There are routers that should be on the list e.g. the ASUS RT-AX11000 and Netgear's R8000. The former router has been available for retail for over a year now. Is there a problem getting candidates tested? I know that Covid-19 may have created issues since February of this year.

I don't mean to nag and moan, but there are very few sites that provide this kind of information. I can't think of one. This is a massive problem, because retailers are very poor at disclosing WAN to LAN throughput in their specs. :rolleyes: They tell us about a router's phenomenal WiFi properties or the addition of a 2.5Gb Ethernet port, but this is of no use if WAN to LAN throughput is only 650Mb. There will already be people out there who have just bought a new powerful router to serve their network and their new 1Gb service, but are unaware that the router cannot deliver anything close to their available broadband.

Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

Router Charts: WAN to LAN thoughput

Are you not aware that Tim doesn't do (hardly any) reviews any more?

Are you not aware that Tim doesn't do (hardly any) reviews any more?

No I wasn't aware of that. (I'm not a frequent visitor.) Thanks. I often see folk linking to the reviews on SNB from other forums. It seems that kind of interest still did not generate enough traffic to sustain the income Tim needed. There really is nowhere else that does in-depth reviews like Tim did. We are now at the mercy of the commercial giants unless we do our own testing and take full advantage of their returns policies.

Hi Vince. Thanks for the kind words about SNB.

I've reached a breakpoint in my consulting work for octoScope and am considering focusing back on doing product reviews. But I sense that the world has moved on to using Amazon reviews and YouTube "influencers". I don't think it will be worth the effort.

@thiggins, I think you are underestimating the value your reviews brought to the networking world. I understand this is a business decision in the end, but the effort would be appreciated by far more people than you can imagine.

Amazon reviews and 'influencers' with access to a camera are not what I base any real decisions on.

To be truthful, they are not even on my mind at all when I am deciding on a purchase. Amazon reviews are just the fluff that floats on the 'net with no real substance (and many scams) and the 'influencers' are the exact hits/links I ignore because I don't want to see a video full of ads and links about things I'm not even remotely interested in.

Hi Vince. Thanks for the kind words about SNB.

I've reached a breakpoint in my consulting work for octoScope and am considering focusing back on doing product reviews. But I sense that the world has moved on to using Amazon reviews and YouTube "influencers". I don't think it will be worth the effort.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it is a lot of effort for what appears to be little take-up.

We are are at an interesting time regarding the working capacity of third-party routers. I wonder, for example, how many people have bought ostensibly powerful routers, guided by the limited provided by Amazon and PCWorld, and have found they are not getting the 900Mb or more they should from their Virgin Media or Vodaphone FTTP connection. It shouldn't be down to community-spirited people like you to provide essential data, such as WAN to LAN throughput or tested WiFi coverage and quality. It is down to the manufacturer and retailer. People who visit their sites are there to buy stuff - routers in this case. They will probably make a purchase, albeit the wrong one, often to be returned. I wonder how much expense and time could be saved by companies and punters if retailers provided the information to match product to need, but in a palatable way. Most punters would struggle with the depth and detail of your reports, but salient headline information linked through to detailed test results, such as yours, would be a way forward.