What's new

WAN to LAN throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Latka

New Around Here
I want to upgrade the Linksys EA6700 router on the home network because it is slower than the cable internet service. The ISP recently upgraded the subscribed service from 100 MBPS to 200 MBPS at no additional monthly fee. However, the router only puts out 90-93 MBPS through the LAN ports under ideal conditions.

The Linksys EA6700 router serves as gateway, with DHCP, NAT and access point functions. There are several WiFi access points connected by Cat-5e ethernet. I want to improve home network performance by sending as much as possible on ethernet LAN connections, reducing the WiFi usage.

The download speed through a LAN port on the EA6700 is only 90-93 MBPS, with latency of 31-33 ms. When the test laptop is connected directly to the ISP cable-modem, the download speed is 236 MBPS with 22 ms latency.

What router would keep up with the 200 MBPS speeds now available from the ISP? Does someone publish router WAN to LAN throughput speeds?

P.S. I'm new here, and not sure what keywords to search. Please forgive if the answer is already posted elsewhere. Thank you.

Does your PC have a gig rated Ethernet LAN port or is it just Fast Ethernet = 100 Mbps which with overhead might give you a speed of 95 Mbps?

Does your PC have a gig rated Ethernet LAN port or is it just Fast Ethernet = 100 Mbps which with overhead might give you a speed of 95 Mbps?
Yes, the laptop I used with Speedtest has a giga ethernet port. It was measuring 236 MBPS at the LAN port of the cable modem, but just 93 MBPS on a LAN port of the router.

Is the router doing any QOS functions or any security functions like deep packet inspection ?

Basically, is it set up to do NAT and DHCP only ?

different NICs react differently to the same cable, so first check if any links are operating at 100Mb/s and see if using a different cable will solve it (check in PC/router to see the rate).

this really sounds like a cable somewhere is at 100Mb/s. If its wifi than you should realise that 2.4Ghz max practical rate is 30% of link speed while for 5Ghz its 50% of rated link speed.

Verify your link speeds including the router's WAN port then start diagnosing other things. QoS for instance will disable hardware acceleration.