What's new

WAN working but LAN is not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

casey

New Around Here
Hello,

I am an armature at this home networking.
Here is what I have is
1. Comcast coming in via cable to my Netgear AC 1750 model C6300
2. 1 Ethernet cable from router to computer
3 2nd Ethernet cable from router to the wall
to the Open House 568A
to a Buffalo 16-Port Desktop/Rackmount Gigabit Green Ethernet Switch (BS-GU2016)
This powers my ports to distribute out (either directly to the other divices or backfeeds
the Open House 568A

the account is a @dyndns.org so it is a static address...

The problem that I am having is that, all of a sudden, I am unable to connect via LAN to my smart TV and other products that I have on my LAN.
This has been working for several yrs and I really do not want to scrap it all and start all over again.

One issue I found is that the internal ip address is saying unreachable but it the results for the ping is 4 pakets sent, 4 received with 0 packets lost. WHAT??? I don't get it.....

any help is much appreciated.

Time for some basic troubleshooting.

Did something change just before the problem started.

Is the connection problem with one device or many?

Is the IP address information on the devices you are trying to communicate between correct?

Time for some basic troubleshooting.

Did something change just before the problem started? No

Is the connection problem with one device or many? Many devices behind the the switch will not connect.
The PC is also behind the router, but not the switch.

Is the IP address information on the devices you are trying to communicate between correct? Not sure what you are getting at here. The IP address for one of the devices is not loosing any packets bit it also says it is unreachable. Hope that this helps.

If you move a device connection from the switch to a router LAN port does it work?

I mean are the IP addresses correct? If your router is 192.168.1.1, are the device IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X range and do they have 192.168.1.1 as Gateway and DNS?

Did something change just before the problem started? No

Is the connection problem with one device or many? Many devices behind the the switch will not connect.
The PC is also behind the router, but not the switch.

Based on what yous said above you may not have your switch connected correctly. The switch needs to have an Ethernet connection directly to your router, then devices can be plugged directly into the remaining LAN ports on the switch. Router and switch can be in different rooms.

Test your hardware setup by locating it all in one room. Modem - Router - Switch - Device(s). Plug various devices into the switch and confirm you are getting a connection to the WEB. Also be sure your switch is really a switch and not a wired router. If it is a router you need to disable its DHCP server.

IP address work fine. I have not plugged the other devices into the router since it is hard to get to at the moment. Get back to you when I get to it. Thanks for the help.
If you move a device connection from the switch to a router LAN port does it work?

I mean are the IP addresses correct? If your router is 192.168.1.1, are the device IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X range and do they have 192.168.1.1 as Gateway and DNS?

Based on what yous said above you may not have your switch connected correctly. The switch needs to have an Ethernet connection directly to your router, then devices can be plugged directly into the remaining LAN ports on the switch. Router and switch can be in different rooms.

Test your hardware setup by locating it all in one room. Modem - Router - Switch - Device(s). Plug various devices into the switch and confirm you are getting a connection to the WEB. Also be sure your switch is really a switch and not a wired router. If it is a router you need to disable its DHCP server.
Equipment is in a hard to get area. I know that the router is working, just need to test switch. It is a switch... At least the box said that it is. See the equipment I posted, maybe I got it wrong.... It's happened before
Get back to you when I get to it.