What's new

WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allan Marcus

Regular Contributor
Hi. I know there are other threads on this topic, but there doesn't seem to be a resolution. I thought I would post a little more info, and with guidance, I'm happy to help troubleshoot this very annoying problem.

background: occasionally the ASUS router loses a connection, DHCP lease, or something with the CM1000 cable modem (Comcast). At first I thought the issue was the cable modem, but now I think it's the router. When this issue happened before, the only way I was able to get it resolved was to force a cable modem restart from the Xfinity page. A local cold reboot of the modem would not work, in that the ASUS wouldn't get a DHCP lease unless the reboot was remote from concast (I that that spelling better).

The issue just happened a few minutes ago, and I tried something different. In the ASUS console, I disabled the WAN, applied, then enabled the WAN and applied. The router got it's lease and I'm connected again!

Since this is happening every 2-5 days, I would like to get it resolved. Here's the log from the router for the relevant time. Hopefully this might help. I've removed all my local DHCP traffic to make this more readable.

Maybe a script to disable the WAN then enable it nightly?

Is there a way to see the WAN lease time remaining? or can any other info about the WAN connection?

appears I cannot post the log info as the web site blocks it. there really isn't anything interesting in the log anyways.

So when this happens it shows the WAN connected along with an IP address on the Network Map tab?
stat.jpeg

So when this happens it shows the WAN connected along with an IP address on the Network Map tab?View attachment 17147
It shows disconnected in the internet status section. Next time it happens I'll post an image.

Umm, it appears some folks have better luck by turning traffic monitor off. I really like traffic monitoring! I sure hope I don;'t have to turn that off as it's one of the big draws for the merlin firmware.

Umm, it appears some folks have better luck by turning traffic monitor off. I really like traffic monitoring! I sure hope I don;'t have to turn that off as it's one of the big draws for the merlin firmware.
Is that a different Traffic Analyzer/Monitor than the stock ASUS?

Is that a different Traffic Analyzer/Monitor than the stock ASUS?
Sorry, I don't know. Possibly.

I'm going to let the error happen one more time, and if it does (which I think it will), I will turn off traffic monitoring--tools: other settings: Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)-- and see if the error happens again. This might take a weaker two to see.

Is there a way to see the WAN lease time remaining? or can any other info about the WAN connection?
On my previous post the image shows a globe. Depress the globe for more information.
It shows disconnected in the internet status section.
The question I have is that logically or physically disconnected?

When this happens again:
  1. Document internet status information
  2. Unplug and replug each end of WAN Ethernet, waiting a few seconds between each to see if internet status changes
Could be bad/flaky connection or cable. Make sure that on the Network Map panel it says WAN has a status of 1Gbps.

ok, will do. thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's logical. IIRC, it says something like disconnect, ISP DHCP not functioning correctly", but I will check that and the ethernet wan port setting next time.

ok, will do. thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's logical. IIRC, it says something like disconnect, ISP DHCP not functioning correctly", but I will check that and the ethernet wan port setting next time.
This is happening to me as well, I just added a post about it

It was pretty long and I didn't want to hijack yours
It's not my thread. ;)

But it's better to have all the information collected in one place for analysis rather than fragmented across multiple posts, which is more difficult and time consuming to read.

It's not my thread. ;)

But it's better to have all the information collected in one place for analysis rather than fragmented across multiple posts, which is more difficult and time consuming to read.
OK, here is what happens on mine:
My ISP is Cogeco.ca and I have a Cisco DPC3848VM modem which I setup in Bridge mode. I use my Asus RT-AC3200 which has been working fine for the last couple of years.

Recently however it started dropping connections, occasionally in build 384.8, more so in 384.10 and completely broken in firmware build 384.10_2.

What happens is when the router powers up, it sees the WAN IP assigned by Cogeco for about 1.5 secs and then immediately goes to disconnected and I have no internet access. If I plug in directly to the cable modem, the internet is there.

I performed a complete wipe, re-flashed back to Asus stock fimware and everything works. I let it run for a day and then re-loaded 384.10_2 firmware where it ran for couple of hours and then the WAN IP became disconnected again.

Currently the only way I can get a reliable connection is by reverting back to ASUS stock firmware, which i'm currently running at the moment.

I can't attach my syslog for some reason, but I see the following message: "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

OK, here is what happens on mine:
My ISP is Cogeco.ca and I have a Cisco DPC3848VM modem which I setup in Bridge mode. I use my Asus RT-AC3200 which has been working fine for the last couple of years.

Recently however it started dropping connections, occasionally in build 384.8, more so in 384.10 and completely broken in firmware build 384.10_2.

What happens is when the router powers up, it sees the WAN IP assigned by Cogeco for about 1.5 secs and then immediately goes to disconnected and I have no internet access. If I plug in directly to the cable modem, the internet is there.

I performed a complete wipe, re-flashed back to Asus stock fimware and everything works. I let it run for a day and then re-loaded 384.10_2 firmware where it ran for couple of hours and then the WAN IP became disconnected again.

Currently the only way I can get a reliable connection is by reverting back to ASUS stock firmware, which i'm currently running at the moment.

I can't attach my syslog for some reason, but I see the following message: "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

The proper order is:
  • Flash the firmware you want to use.
  • Perform a full reset to factory defaults, making sure to check the box that says 'Initialize all settings....' first.
  • If there was not such checkbox, perform a 'Format jffs partition on next reboot, and make sure to click Apply at the bottom of that page.
  • Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  • At this point, I would flash the same firmware again, and follow that by another reset to factory defaults.
When you set up your router after completing the steps above, do not use a saved config file (you will effectively negate all the steps above if you do), do not automatically start putting in your 'default' customizations. Leave the router at defaults and add each customization if needed, but always testing and including testing by rebooting too that all previous settings are still working as they should.

Please see my signature below for the M&M Config guide to get your router to a good/known state. Right now, it is a little messed up. ;)

ug. just happened to me again. I was doing a massive download on one computer, and even though the network status screen said disconnected, the download continued on that one computer, but all other computers were unable to do anything on the WAN. Note, the WAN was showing 1 Gbps on the ethernet port status, so I don't think the issue is the cable.

I'm turning off IPTraffic monitoring and we will see if that is the culprit. Maybe the RT-AC68U just isn't powerful enough for IPTraffic monitoring on a really busy network.

doh! There is a big icon in the internet status box, and I didn't realize I could click on that to get info! Also to force a renew (WAN off/on)
I'll also try to CLI approach, if the issue happens again. IPTraffic is now off :-(

Release: killall -SIGUSR2 udhcpc
pause for a few seconds
Renew: killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc

OK, just tried the killall stuff above, and I reproduced the
Apr 20 17:13:05 router.asus.com WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

error!

as soon as I issued the "killall -SIGUSR2 udhcpc" command, I got the above error. As soon as I issued the second command, killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc, the router got its IP address. Interesting.

Even if I wait a few minutes, the lease time is just stuck on "renewing" until I issue the second command. Maybe that is the state that happens when the lease time runs out?

Changed dhcp query frequency to normal form aggressive see if that helps it works for me.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!