What's new

Want to add new RT-AC86U to existing network as AIMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fisherman

Occasional Visitor
I have a working RT-AC86U router and want to add a NIB 86U as an AIMesh node, but am a bit confused as to how to start, since I know the first thing I need to do is to get the new router firmware to update. Do I have to disconnect my Primary router and plug the new one's WAN port to my ISP modem, setting it up from scratch as a primary router so I can connect to the 'net and upgrade the firmware?

Or can I more simply connect the new router to a LAN switch, and not disturb my working setup? If Yes, do I connect the new router to my LAN via its WAN port, or just LAN-to-LAN?

I apologize for the newbie question, but honestly I had a heckuva time getting the first AC86U set-up to replace my old RT-N66U--finally got it working and it's been great, but time to add the 2nd 86U...

Power up the new router, reset it to factory default just in case, look for AiMesh node on the main router. If you can add it as AiMesh node successfully, update the firmware from the main router.

If the firmware is very old and you can't add it as AiMesh node, connect the new AC86U WAN port to your existing router LAN port, do minimal configuration as router and update the firmware. Disconnect it, do factory reset and add it to AiMesh from the main router.

Last edited:
Yikes it was not easy, but I seem to have gotten it to work. Firstly, the "easy route" of just turning-on and adding didn't work because as it happens the NIB 86U fw was ancient 384_32799 and not 386_48260 (or anywhere close). Then I struggled a bit connecting to my existing LAN, probably cuz the NIB 86U was 192.168.50.1 and my LAN is 192.168.1.x. But ultimately I downloaded the latest firmware and connected my laptop to the NIB 86U and got it upgraded.

But then, after of course doing the reset, adding as a node kept failing. Ultimately after some surfing I turned on WPS, and also changed my routers WiFi to Smart Connect, and it finally worked. Dunno which was the culprit--possibly the Smart Connect.

Anyway thanks again Tech9 for the advice--I was at a loss as to how to go about this!

If you don't mind me asking, has the AC86U been reliable? Many in this forum seem to feel its poorly designed and often fails from overheating. And yet owners I've messaged on other sites all say they're rock solid. My AC68P has been foolproof though though it doesn't have the range I'd prefer. Thanks

Do some find the RT-AC86U hardware faulty? Yes.

That is not the majority of the cases though (those people don't post their happy/expected experiences).

Even on this forum, it's not the 'many'. It's the rare few.

I have not had my two AC86U units long enough to comment on longevity. Suffice to say they are working perfectly for me AFAICT and since both are in well-ventilated open areas I at least don't expect overheating to be a problem, though I haven't noticed any particular warmth from either of them.

There are all manner of possibilities I suppose regarding failures, including of course manufacturing defects. No clue about internals or "design issues". All I know is that I surfed & surfed on upgrading from my RT-N66U and found good reviews (no I didn't look in here, my bad I suppose) and haven't looked back.

I had not visited here in years until I posted this thread and Tech9 helped me.

My post on SNB Forums to sound the alarm about failing in big numbers router model:

What is failing more often inside, the first alarm/information came from a Chinese forum:

It also has software issues, discussed in this thread:

Last edited:
There are as many usage scenarios as there are owners of this router, and in my case I have some 38 clients on the 2-unit mesh. Whenever I've looked at the CPUs they run less than 5% typically, and with a temp sensing gun I can find noplace inside or out that exceeds 40C. The cooling vents at the bottom look open enough to me. I do have the LEDs turned-off FWIW, not for reducing heat but more for security.

The 3td thread you cited starts-off with a bogus "19v PSU has to be massaged to 5v" and that's wrong--it's a 12v supply not 19. What else did he get wrong? Maybe too the merlin fw is adding cycles.

YMMV but until I find something to complain about, I ain't worrying about my AC86Us.

It's not guaranteed to fail. It just fails more often than others. The software bug is perhaps affecting mostly custom scripts users in Asuswrt-Merlin. There is a partial solution to it as well in the same thread. You're safe because you have two. If one fails, the other one can provide Internet until you find a replacement.

My AC86Us did not run hot... they just burned out circuit-wise.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!