What's new

Want to get better signal to Ring WiFi Cams

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
Thinking of getting some Ring Spotlight/Floodlight cams for my DETACHED garage - which is about ~15' away from the main house envelop.

I have Cat6 prewired for PoE camera's in the garage & run back to the structured cable distribution panel in the main house.
Was going to do more professional CCTV type cams with these Cat6 but the consumer grade WiFi cams like Ring or Nest are easier to set up & understand for me and are improving everyday.

Questions:

1) To get better signal & speed to the detached garage - can I set up another router as an Extender or new Access Point in the garage using the Cat6 ? My Comcast broadband is only to the main house panel.

2) If 1 is possible, is this what they call an Ethernet backhaul?

3) If 2 is true - can the new router be placed in an unconditioned garage (studs & trusses no insulation) Mid-Atlantic region?

4) If placement is not possible in an unconditioned space - what is the best way to get the signal as close as possible while retaining as much broadband speed as possible?