What's new

Scribe WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I remoted into a router I support (an RT-AC86U) and checked updates using AMTM. I get the following message when running uiScribe

Code:
[2020-12-09T16:52:07.998261] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 3.29 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration, please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file; config-version='3.27'

I uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue is still there. The System log has had no new entries since I took action last night. This afternooon, I ran an update on Scribe and saw the message that syslog-ng.conf was updated.

syslog-ng.conf version ... updated! (3.29)

Appears to have fixed the issue. No more warning msg appears in uiScribe.

I remoted into a router I support (an RT-AC86U) and checked updates using AMTM. I get the following message when running uiScribe

Code:
[2020-12-09T16:52:07.998261] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 3.29 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration, please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file; config-version='3.27'

I uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue is still there. The System log has had no new entries since I took action last night. This afternooon, I ran an update on Scribe and saw the message that syslog-ng.conf was updated.

syslog-ng.conf version ... updated! (3.29)

Appears to have fixed the issue. No more warning msg appears in uiScribe.
Yes, the Entware package has been updated to 3.29, so when you updated through amtm it came through. uiScribe and scribe don't have anything to do with this, so uninstalling and reinstalling them don't clear the notice. When scribe is re-run, though, it checks the line in the .conf file and conforms it to the syslog-ng version that is installed.

So far as I know, looking at the release notes, there is nothing in the updated version (or in the current 3.30) that affects us.

When I did the amtm update, it updated 34 packages, so a reboot was in order anyway.

Hmmm, I noticed this yesterday when I was doing some maintenance on the router.

I have updated entware, rebooted the router, forced an update of Scribe, yet I am still getting the message. I have not found the conf file the error suggests to change. Anyone know where that file hides? Using AC86U .18 firmware.

I think if you run scribe, restart, it will fix it on its own.

But the file is opt/etc/syslog-ng.conf. Just the 27 at the top needs to change to 29.

I will give that a shot and see what happens (run - restart). If not, I will edit the file.

Thanks for the info.

Restarting scribe worked. Thanks

Scribe has a function called sync-conf() around line 300 or so that changes the version number in the .conf file to match the current version of syslog-ng installed. I haven't parsed the sed logic, but I think it changes two other version references in the .conf file that it shouldn't.

The first is in the reference to the documentation, which is a hardcoded link. The current documentation at that site is up to 3.26, so the link fails. The easy fix is to use the link to the one referred to in syslog-ng.conf-opkg, which goes to the most recent available documentation at that site, whatever it is. (More recent documentation, up to 3.30, is on github).

The other is the reference to time-reap(), which changed in version 3.19. A fix is to delete the word version, I think.

Really minor stuff. One could change the sed, or change the conf. @cynicastic

@Xentrk might you change the tag from uiScribe to Scribe? Might help others curious.

Scribe has a function called sync-conf() around line 300 or so that changes the version number in the .conf file to match the current version of syslog-ng installed. I haven't parsed the sed logic, but I think it changes two other version references in the .conf file that it shouldn't.

The first is in the reference to the documentation, which is a hardcoded link. The current documentation at that site is up to 3.26, so the link fails. The easy fix is to use the link to the one referred to in syslog-ng.conf-opkg, which goes to the most recent available documentation at that site, whatever it is. (More recent documentation, up to 3.30, is on github).

The other is the reference to time-reap(), which changed in version 3.19. A fix is to delete the word version, I think.

Really minor stuff. One could change the sed, or change the conf. @cynicastic
Oh joy, they're not updating the documentation now? Or maybe they just moved it?

Oh joy, they're not updating the documentation now? Or maybe they just moved it?
Welcome back. In your version of the .conf file, you noted, originally, that the time reap function changed in 3.19. Your function then changes that reference to 3.30, or whatever, which then no longer makes sense.

I do find the documentation a little fluid, whether it is in the github version or the commercial version.

Not really so much back as dropping by. :confused: I'm hoping to be "back" over the next few months. I've made notes of the above.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!