What's new

WARNING: Curl silently ignores the specified proxy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fitz Mutch

Proxy server support is not compiled into curl on Asuswrt-Merlin. The problem is that curl doesn't return an error (or show a warning) when you specify a proxy server. It always goes directly to the specified URL, silently ignoring any specified proxy server. This may or may not be an issue for some. I verified that proxy support does indeed work in curl 7.56.0 on Asuswrt-Merlin, you just need to compile it in.

I removed a number of esoteric curl options a few months ago in an attempt to trim it. I see no real point in having proxy support on something running on the router when the router itself cannot use any proxy.

I also haven't updated curl lately ast my last attempt resulted in a panic at boot time - probably caused by the fact that at least one of the closed-source binaries is linked against libcurl.

I removed a number of esoteric curl options a few months ago in an attempt to trim it. I see no real point in having proxy support on something running on the router when the router itself cannot use any proxy.

I also haven't updated curl lately ast my last attempt resulted in a panic at boot time - probably caused by the fact that at least one of the closed-source binaries is linked against libcurl.

Please Please, add some warring to curl, if proxy is using.

I wasted several hours trying to figure it out why my proxy didn't get any data.

I install an entware version of curl finally everything works.

I used to use curl test everything, this was a big surprise to me, because the tools I relied on were broken.......unexpectedly and silently

------------------------
Tested on ac68u and ac86u 384.13, curl 7.65.1

I'm not going to start listing every single build options that are enabled and disabled for the included package. This isn't a server, this is a router - it has limited flash space and memory, therefore only basic options are enabled. If you need something esoteric, it's up to you to read the source code to see the list of build time options - they are all clearly labeled in the Makefile.

Reactions: Cam