1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

watch out where you buy an ac88u

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by ronald francey, Aug 3, 2018.

1. ronald francey

ronald francey Occasional Visitor

the result of a brand new out of the box failure. this is the end of my rma:

"Hello Ron Francey,

Please be advised that the unit you have sent in for service was not sold by Asus w/in the US and only carries a local warranty in the country it was originally sold. My apologies, but we are unable to provide repair service on this unit at this time. Your unit will be returned back to you as is/unrepaired. Thank you."

any recourses recommended??? I paid $250 for the unit as an innocent buyer.

groan.

also, i just received a new arris sb8200 from amazon prime yesterday. u thought i'd be at the top of the world.

groan.

help!!!

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. HowIFix

HowIFix Regular Contributor

The same answer I got from ASUS, for a graphic card that was bad (DOA), the difference was that they did not want to accept the RMA, why I do not live in the United States and the product I bought in the United States (Amazon), but Amazon the refund without problems.

I recommend you, return it and ask for full refund in amazon or where you buy it and buy the RT-AC86U is better and newer than the RT-AC88U.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    joegreat likes this.
  4. ronald francey

i bought the asus from gearbest out of china and that is what asus will not repair here in the usa. i had no idea i'd have this problem. the arris sb8200 is a cable/modem i purchased from amazon.

5. HowIFix

The best service I've had from RMA has been from Logitech.

I bought a Logitech G903 mouse for amazon to play Fortnite, it worked without problems (it was new), I complained in its reddit page that improve the quality of your product because I bought a new mouse, but it came with some scratches on the mouse feet and my mouse was scratching the mouse pad, now I had to invest more money buying a new set of mouse feet or change the mouse by amazon. (I uploaded photos of mouse feet)

They answered me, please create an RMA and paste the reddit link of my complaint in the.

I did it and they responded the same day, that they will send me a new set of mouse feet and that I forgive them for the problem.

While I was using my old mouse Zowie FK1, after a while the package arrived at my house and I was surprised it was not an envelope, it was a heavy box and when I opened it I looked inside, there was a new mouse G903 and a new set of mouse feet for my other mouse. (now I have another G903 as backup and 2 years of warranty)

How I wish that this was also the ASUS support service.

6. HowIFix

If ASUS do not change it, sell it as bad by eBay to maybe recover some money.

I recommend you, If you buy an ASUS product, only buy through AMAZON (excellent refund), sometimes for not waiting or buy cheap turns out to be expensive.

7. DinkiD10

DinkiD10 New Around Here

Hi, have looked for this product on Amazon without success, are you sure you have spelt it correctly?? Was interested in its specs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ronald francey

i spent $250! not cheap.

9. HowIFix

10. ronald francey

HowIFix likes this.
  11. HowIFix

This is fashion.

Sometimes one thinks that the router is bad, but maybe only is the power supply and changing it fixes the problem or is a bad/defective firmware flash that is solved following that guide.

If you are going to follow the guide, first download the firmware for RT-AC88U from the previous post or here:

12. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

It is standard industry practice to provide warranty for products purchased in the country where you are applying for warranty service. This is to fight against "gray market" sales.

13. ronald francey

i'm 74 years old and did not know this. i just requested an rma from the seller in china. we'll see how that works out. it will probably be a week before i get the asus back from usa asus. arghhh. glad i am retired. :)

HowIFix likes this.
  14. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

If it was DOA then contact the reseller. It's their responsability.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

15. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Yep...

BTW - it's up to the company (Asus) to prevent grey market sales, not the consumer - and in many countries and states, Asus may be legally liable to honor the warranty due to consumer protection laws.

HowIFix, jerry6 and Grisu like this.
  16. ronald francey

how do i find out if asus usa must honor the warranty? ... even though unit purchased from china.

17. TonyH

TonyH Very Senior Member

18. TonyH

TonyH Very Senior Member

Hi,
    If you are getting something it'd be better asking about warranty B4 you pay for it. Ever heard of grey market product? Probably you got it 'coz it was less expensive? I always ask around on the 'net
    if I am thinking about buying something from not well known seller. Chalk it off as learning experience.
    Did you contact about this issue to the seller?

19. sfx2000

Do some research...

Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act in the US is very powerful...

In the EU, people have even stronger rights

tell them to fix it - it's not your problem, it's their problem, they allowed the China market device to be purchased in the US.

HowIFix and jerry6 like this.
  20. sfx2000

Believe it - grey market product - it must work - either the seller or manufacturer has to cover things fresh out of the box...

go to the reseller first, but if they decline, the manufacturer is on the hook... hence my statement that Asus has the problem with Grey Market folks.

Please don't shift this on to the buyer..

HowIFix and jerry6 like this.
  21. sfx2000

It's generally industry practice to work with distributors and resellers to prevent "grey market" in the first place - as they're still on the hook for covering the product in markets it might not be intended for...

Camera Lenses and Watches used to be a deal there... sometimes it still is.

HowIFix likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!