Waveform Bufferbloat Test

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Tech9

Very Senior Member
I don't trust online bufferbloat tests. Waveform shows me inaccurate up/down speeds (up to 50Mbps above my actual ISP speed) all the time. None of online bufferbloat tests is even close to real Internet use conditions. It's enough to set a speed limiter below ISP speeds and possible bufferbloat condition disappears. I use simple ping testing under load, nothing else. As long as ISP line is not saturated, ping tests are always low. Online bufferbloat tests only freak out people with no good understanding what bufferbloat is and when it may happen.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Worked quite well. Consistent results as compared to DSL Reports Speed Test. Waveform sure gives more info about test results and how to improve results.

anotherengineer

Regular Contributor
I use fast.com then after the first auto run I changed settings to test loaded ping and upload. I don’t think it shows buffer bloat per se but it does show loaded and unloaded ping.

Newfie

Occasional Visitor
I don't trust online bufferbloat tests. Waveform shows me inaccurate up/down speeds (up to 50Mbps above my actual ISP speed) all the time. None of online bufferbloat tests is even close to real Internet use conditions. It's enough to set a speed limiter below ISP speeds and possible bufferbloat condition disappears. I use simple ping testing under load, nothing else. As long as ISP line is not saturated, ping tests are always low. Online bufferbloat tests only freak out people with no good understanding what bufferbloat is and when it may happen.
Hate them too, waveform never seems to record my UL and DL correctly.
I tend to use ping plotter if I want a look over what’s going on.