What's new

Way forward from 376.47 to current Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
I haven't updated in awhile late 2014 to be exact.
Am on Merlin's 376.47 currently on my ASUS TMobile-AC1900 Router (aka Rebranded RT-AC68U).
Know the ASUS OS partition was expanded from 32 to 64.= back in 2015 some time.

But I think Merlin's software actually expands the partitions for us around on his 378.## release.

Would like to update to the latest Merlin stable release - I think it's 380.63_2.

What's the straight forward way to do this ?

Flash firmware of your choosing, then do a factory reset in GUI, and then set up router from scratch (without loading a config file). That's pretty much it..

Flash 378.55 first to get support for a 64 MB rootfs partition, then flash 380.62_3. After that, do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure.

Did you ever re-write the CFE to an official AC68U version? If not, don't try to load any other firmware until you do this step, otherwise you will complicate things immensely.

There was a consolidated set of instructions just posted....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/do...c68u-support-merlin.19550/page-12#post-294052

From my notes - Yes - had to go back to Retail Asus CFE 1.0.2.0.
Then flashed downgraded to TMO firmware version 3.0.0.4_376_1703 to enable telnet.
Then flaashed MerlinWRT 376.47.

Whew - thanks.

I was shaking at the thought of having to roll things back & fro with the CFE & Asus Firmware processes.
As you can tell, i don't do this often. :)

What I said only applies for a standard CFE. If you are also messing with customized CFEs, then you're on your own there - I can't predict how they might interact with one another.

I am in the same situation where I was at an old firmware (late 2014 or mid 2015, I forget) and could not flash to the latest. Without reading this thread, I somehow was able to flash to 380.57. I am not able to downgrade or upgrade anymore; I only get "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." when I attempt.

I did not flash CFE though. Is it necessary?

What I said only applies for a standard CFE. If you are also messing with customized CFEs, then you're on your own there - I can't predict how they might interact with one another.

Thanks for that caution.
I checked my notes & it was the Retail Asus CFE 1.0.2.0.
That was the only way to get off the TMO custom firmware onto Merlin when I was converting the TMO rebranded RT-AC68U router.

Flash 378.55 first to get support for a 64 MB rootfs partition, then flash 380.62_3. After that, do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure.

I am in a similar position as the original poster.

TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U), converted to Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.49_5 many years ago.

$ nvram get bl_version

I've tried to flash all these versions and double checked the sha256sum:
. RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378.51_0
. **RT-AC68U_378.55_0**
. RT-AC68U_380.65_2
. RT-AC68U_380.67_0

Unplugged USB ports. Connected to router to wired network with LAN cable. Performed the NVRAM reset.

However, I always get the message:

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I don't support the TM-AC1900. I know some people managed to "convert" it into a regular RT-AC68U, however there's no guarantee that such a conversion will always work in the future. Asus might very well implement further checks in future revisions, which is why I chose not to support it.

I don't support the TM-AC1900. I know some people managed to "convert" it into a regular RT-AC68U, however there's no guarantee that such a conversion will always work in the future. Asus might very well implement further checks in future revisions, which is why I chose not to support it.
I understand. Thank you.

Flash firmware of your choosing, then do a factory reset in GUI, and then set up router from scratch (without loading a config file). That's pretty much it..

So I finally got to this today & went to 378.55.
Didn't go anyt further to get to the current firmware.
Paused because wanted to know that whenI manually input all my same old settings after the factory reset - will my 20+ clients that depend on this router lose their settings (SSID/pw's) & I have to re-enter those also??

Or will they recognize the settings as their old ones right away?

Last edited: