• Synology DS918 4 bay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synology DS1019 5 bay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
I’m looking at replacing my old WD MY Cloud DL 4100 NAS, which has four WD Red 3TB drives in Raid 6, I’ve been looking at a QNAP TS-453B 4 bay or a Synology DS 918 4 bay, the QNAP seems to have more functionality, lots more ports, then the Synology, but Synology seems to get better reviews, and has a better OS, anyone have any views to help my choice pls ?
I’ve also seen a Synology DS1019 5 bay for more than the QNAP, but just in my budget, I’m tempted ?

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Both companies make good NASes. Feature sets and UI's are slightly different. If price isn't the deciding factor, flip a coin. It's that close.

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
Thanks, ive read more positive reviews on Amazon about Synology, I know there “Amazon” reviews, but most should be genuine, but QNAP seems to have more ports etc, anyone else pls ?

Last edited:

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
Thanks, ive read more positive reviews on Amazon about Synology, I know there “Amazon” reviews, but most should be genuine, but QNAP seems to have more ports etc, anyone else pls ?
So if there’s not much difference between both software, I’ve read the Synology OS is slightly better, but that maybe outweighed by more ports etc on the QNAP ?

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
QNAP or Synology, those are the (only) choices for a NAS (still).

While I lean towards QNAP myself, this is a decision you need to make for yourself. :)

What I can say is that the software is very similar, as others can tell you. But I buy the most hardware I can get and QNAP always delivers for me. Particularly the upgradability of the boxes.

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
QNAP or Synology, those are the (only) choices for a NAS (still).

While I lean towards QNAP myself, this is a decision you need to make for yourself. :)

What I can say is that the software is very similar, as others can tell you. But I buy the most hardware I can get and QNAP always delivers for me. Particularly the upgradability of the boxes.
I agree about the hardware and upgradability of the boxes, my only concern is the one I’ve got my eye on the TS 453b is a three year old model ?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
With it being three years old, you could consider it proven then. :)

On the other hand, if you are buying it for the upgradability, buy those parts too along with the NAS as a package, or, buy something more current if those parts don't exist anymore. :)

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
With it being three years old, you could consider it proven then. :)

On the other hand, if you are buying it for the upgradability, buy those parts too along with the NAS as a package, or, buy something more current if those parts don't exist anymore. :)

Good point, I’ll check if they are still available

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
Good point, I’ll check if they are still available
They are all still available, but, I still keep thinking about the Synology DS 1019+, it’s only £30-£40 more than the QNAP, it comes with 8gb ram instead of 4gb, has internal SSD slots already fitted, and it’ll take a powered usb hub out of the single rear usb 3 socket, plus you gain a extra hdd slot ?

davidjames1701

Occasional Visitor
after a few router and NAS restarts, ive regained NAS access, don't know how, but from reading Wd forum, i think a few more have had the same trouble, looks like WD stopped supporting the DL4100 over a year ago, got a Synology DS1019+ arriving soon, for the price and features, 8GB RAM, extra HDD bay, internal ssd slots, its a better buy for me, oh and a three year warranty ! ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!