What's new

WD live TV on SAMBA not reacheable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lwizard

Regular Contributor
Device on SAMBA not reacheable from win7 (unstable)

From .39 my WD TV live streamer (3rd gen)
always appear in windows 7 samba, but frequently I can't reach it when I try to open it.

Also if I succeed in open it, after few minutes it becomes unreacheable again and than again reachable and so on.

WD is always on same firmware.

I use SAMBA without user account restriction on both ASUS and WD.

Other windows 7 PCs on LAN seems to work fine also through WiFi.

Also HDD on ASUS is perfectly reacheable from windows 7 PC.

This problem persist on 40beta3.
Is not present in .38.2

Is there a FIX?

Last edited:
Do you use VLAN(port options) for your TV in IPTV section?
I guess you are not. Samba only works for the same Lan.

The alternative to mindless VLAN setting, to have it in the same LAN with your PC, you need IGMP multicasting and IGMP snooping for preventing the flood in all ports. but, I I believe IGMP snooping is broken from .39 to 40 eating up LAN bandwidth and the router's CPU resource.

Newer stock firmwares have the same symptoms. I guess it's an Asus bug. Old firmwares works fine. Strangely people don't care about this problem.

Last edited:
Really?

For same Lan do you intend that being my Western Digital live TV on wireless and my PC on Gigabit, are on different LAN?
So what do I have to do?
I thought that IPTV settings was not for my situation..
on 0.39 I have not a VLAN option for IPTV.. I have an option to set IPTV provider and IGMP proxy and snooping.

If I upgrade again to 0.40 is there a way to fix my Samba instability on Wirless device.

Have you spoken to Merlin about your thoghts to eventually fix the problem?

Thanks!

I need more details about your setup.
If I got it right up until now, WDTV is connected on wireless, you turn it on and you want to access it from a PC/laptop connected on wireless or wired.

I have now the 3rd WDTV. This one is 3rd gen. I kept and still keep WDTV connected on wired for a simple reason - it takes considerable less time to discover shares from my network on wired compared to wireless. And it is far more stable this way; it never fails to discover all the computers; on wireless, at least 2nd gen didn't had a reliable discovery. The reason is once powered on, wdtv has to turn on wireless, authenticate etc and only after it start Samba discovery. On wired is way faster. Also, the 3rd gen can be turn on and off from Android app and that's a big plus in my case.
I haven't tried WDTV 3rd gen on wireless and I have no idea if this one is better than the 2nd gen.

I need more details about your setup.
If I got it right up until now, WDTV is connected on wireless, you turn it on and you want to access it from a PC/laptop connected on wireless or wired.

I have now the 3rd WDTV. This one is 3rd gen. I kept and still keep WDTV connected on wired for a simple reason - it takes considerable less time to discover shares from my network on wired compared to wireless. And it is far more stable this way; it never fails to discover all the computers; on wireless, at least 2nd gen didn't had a reliable discovery. The reason is once powered on, wdtv has to turn on wireless, authenticate etc and only after it start Samba discovery. On wired is way faster. Also, the 3rd gen can be turn on and off from Android app and that's a big plus in my case.
I haven't tried WDTV 3rd gen on wireless and I have no idea if this one is better than the 2nd gen.

I Have 3rd gen.
With 3rd gen wifi is on also when powered off (not completly off but suspended). So you can access the connected HDD also without powering it on! Very handy! Till 0.38 discovery was slow after windows resume (for slow I mean that I have to refresh network connection and it take 10sec) but connection was reliable. With oldest router and Tomato discovery was much faster and persistent after resume (probably far better firmware than asus WRT).

But from .39 discovery works well maybe also a lot faster than 0.38, but device is not reachable randomly.
A copy of file is never interrupted while started, but sometime I can't open the device folder because windows says (unreachable).. after some time it retuns accessible..

I understand. I believe you cannot connect WDTV on ethernet to compare the experience.
I'm not using the same type of access but I have no problem to instantly see Samba shares from wireless and wires, when I'm using a wireless laptop or Android tablets.

Are you sharing any hdd from your router? Are any samba services turned on on your router?

I used Merlin 39 and 40 for some time, not more than 2-3 days each version but I didn't notice anything strange in discovering or accessing shares.
And with ASUS wrt is working properly. I have all services turned off on the router. It's purely a router and access-point, nothing else is running on it.