What's new

WD My Cloud 2.0Tb HDD froze, how to replace?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Dan Baker

Regular Contributor
Ok so the topic-title is pretty straight forward, I physically replaced the 2.0Tb wd red with a 1.0Tb wd green (this is just a secondary unit for me, got a couple of Synology's running the main network based storage).
Now the Led on the front of the unit lights up solid red. The drive is spinnig but nothing happens and I can't access it. Normally when you replace a hdd in these units, you create an image of the contents and put that on your new hdd but in this case I don't have it.
I tried finding an answer on the wd support forums but no luck.

Does anyone know how to get this NAS back up and running? Is there maybe some kind of utility program like you used to have for older Buffalo nases which I haven't found yet?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :).

Dan.

Ok so the topic-title is pretty straight forward, I physically replaced the 2.0Tb wd red with a 1.0Tb wd green (this is just a secondary unit for me, got a couple of Synology's running the main network based storage).
Now the Led on the front of the unit lights up solid red. The drive is spinnig but nothing happens and I can't access it. Normally when you replace a hdd in these units, you create an image of the contents and put that on your new hdd but in this case I don't have it.

Does anyone know how to get this NAS back up and running? Is there maybe some kind of utility program like you used to have for older Buffalo nases which I haven't found yet?

Dan.
If you are under warranty, contact WD support. They should arrange an RMA. BUT you will likely need to ship the old product back.

Not worth messing with it. You'll put in a lot of effort and may not recover any data.

Drives on these models are not intended to be user replaceable.

It's out of warranty and I replaced the HDD already, I was just wondering if I could get it to work again, thanks for the reply though.

Dan.
Is the 1TB in the WD NAS branded WD?

Could it be that the WD NASes are not intended to be user alterable other than exact replacements?
A WD policy to reduce support costs while in warranty?
Or not.

Could it be that the WD NASes are not intended to be user alterable other than exact replacements?
A WD policy to reduce support costs while in warranty?
Or not.
There are some WD NASes that allow users to install/change drives. This particular model doesn't.
And, really Steve, didya think WD would use Seagate drives?

There are some WD NASes that allow users to install/change drives. This particular model doesn't.
And, really Steve, didya think WD would use Seagate drives?
No, but the OP said he's trying to use WD 1TB, whereas the previous ones that worked were WD 2TB. That was the impetus for my remark that maybe WD's NAS firmware rejects the 1TB?

That was the impetus for my remark that maybe WD's NAS firmware rejects the 1TB?

Could be a blacklist perhaps (or more likely a whitelist that only allows certain device ID's), but I'm guessing he's stuck in uBoot - missing the bootloader target, hence the "lockup" from a lay perspective..

Thanks for thinking with me on this guys, I got access to other units of the same type, maybe I could try to clone a hdd from one of those, see if it works. It's just for the fun of it, nothing really depends on it, I'm open for other suggestions.

Dan.

Thanks for thinking with me on this guys, I got access to other units of the same type, maybe I could try to clone a hdd from one of those, see if it works. It's just for the fun of it, nothing really depends on it, I'm open for other suggestions.

Dan.

That's a valid approach - probably since these boxes are linux based, might be best to do with Clonezilla on Linux - just be sure to clone the right direction - been there/done that with a remote technician mirroring a new/blank drive to a RAID1 partner, and wiped it out in a manner of seconds..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!