What's new

WD my Cloud PR4100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nf24eg

New Around Here
Hello, I try to setup my NAS device WD my cloud pr4100, I have 4 TB Seagate*4 drives
As I know if I use RAID 5 it will use the 3 volumes and #4 will be hot spare, so I will have the capacity of 12TB to use + 4TB as hot spare
BUT in this device it show me that Volume 1(1,2,3,4) are = 12TB, and if I made a check mark to use the spare option the volume changes to be (1,2,3) and the capacity become 8 only ??

its even explained in the manual quarter from each disk = 4tb only

any one can explain to me where I go wrong !!!

Attachments

• image_2020-10-14_224246.png
    image_2020-10-14_224246.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Hello, I try to setup my NAS device WD my cloud pr4100, I have 4 TB Seagate*4 drives
As I know if I use RAID 5 it will use the 3 volumes and #4 will be hot spare, so I will have the capacity of 12TB to use + 4TB as hot spare
BUT in this device it show me that Volume 1(1,2,3,4) are = 12TB, and if I made a check mark to use the spare option the volume changes to be (1,2,3) and the capacity become 8 only ??

its even explained in the manual quarter from each disk = 4tb only

any one can explain to me where I go wrong !!!
It’s because in raid 5 use need three disks active so they each get a parity. Since you select hot spare it holds one drive “offline” and ready to go if one fails