What's new

WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra vs. MyCloud Mirror Gen 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Clarke

New Around Here
Hi there, I am looking to get a new Western Digital NAS as I am happy with the ones I have had in the past. However the speed improvements since my most recent one (My Cloud Miror Gen 1) 3 years ago are looking significant, and something I hope to tap into. But I am struggling which to get.

My narrowed choices are the newer My Cloud EX2 "Ultra" and My Cloud Mirror "Gen 2"

Doing a search on here I found this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wd-my-cloud-ex2-or-cloud-mirror-gen-2.29537/ but it devolved into a different topic about WD or not WD so it doesn't help me.

My usage:
My wife and I on separate computers work DIRECTLY off of the NAS. Most time is spent as a graphic designer using photoshop and illustrator and dreamweaver. Photoshop files are sometimes big, upwards of 400mb-900mb. Other times, smaller files. We both run Windows 7, 64bit. Rarely do we work on it at the same time so multi-user concerns of sharing the horsepower has not been an issue. We access the files by mapping network drives to the public share, and sub folders. Our network is Cat6 to and from Gigabit switches and NICs.

My question:
Which one will be faster for the uses below? I will not likely utilize the more pro features the EX2 offers (active directory, iSCSI etc.) so those are non-factors. Looking at the specs I see different cpu and different RAM amounts. But I can't seem to find an apple to apples comparison of these two devices and I 'think' there are factors other than cpu and ram to consider?

Faster for what?
  • Opening files (psd, eps, ai, tiff, html)
  • Saving files (same as above)
  • Copying over all the files (1.9 TB) from our current NAS (WD MyCloud 4tb Mirror Raid in mirror mode for 2tb) to the new NAS. I usually use TeraCopy from mapped drive to mapped drive
Thank you all in advance for your help. I promise I tried to look up reviews for the EX2 ULTRA and Gen2 on the forums here and SNB proper, youtube and the web before asking.

~Clarke

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!