What's new

WDS/Bridging speed and feature optimizations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spiersad

New Around Here
I have two N66Us running merlins latest stable firmware (26b). One is the gateway upstairs and the other is a wireless repeater downstairs.

Currently my setup is using WDS hybrid on the 5Ghz channels to connect the two APs. I set them up as open security with hidden SSID and MAC filtering to ensure that they connect only to each other. I then setup the 2Ghz channels as the same SSID on opposite sides of the spectrum (channel 1 and 11).

This setup works Extremely well speed wise, however, I have come across a couple of problems.
1. I have lost the ability to actually use the 5Ghz.
2. I had some problems with roaming and 40 Mhz channels on the 2Ghz side. They were kinda interfering with each other. I tried to space them as far apart as possible from each other but I guess the extension channels were overlapping. Although, I had no problems if the SSIDs were different.

My question is this. Is this an optimal setup? I want to keep the network as quick as possible and I want roaming, but I also want to get my 5Ghz back and whatnot. Anything less than WPA2 is not an option as far as I am concerned, and it seems to me that WPA2 AES makes WDS a little less stable and flakey. Also, is MAC filtering enough security if I do keep it like this?

Basically, is there a better way to do this? How are you guys doing it?