What's new

WDS-related possibly silly question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

martopg

New Around Here
So I tried searching for the answer to this but couldn't find much...

I know with dual-band n APs, each client can only use a single band at a time. Is this also true in a WDS scenario with two dual-band wireless routers?

If you could use WDS on both bands at the same time, that would be really cool as you would have a bunch more bandwidth, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Does anyone know?

All STAs, whether normal or WDS support one association at a time.

That makes sense, but doesn't a dual-band router/AP have two STAs (one for each band)? I know you can do WDS on one band and have non-WDS clients on the other band which I think is multiple associations. It seems to me like it would be more of a logic issue within the router firmware: it would have to figure out how to do 'link aggregation' of the two WDS connections and it sounds like there's nothing out there that supports that.

Simultaneous dual-band routers have two APs (Access Points), not STAs (STA is a Station, i.e. client device).

APs of course support multiple associations. Clients support one association at a time.

In re-reading your original question, the answer is Yes. If you have two simultaneous dual-band routers that both support WDS, then you could form WDS links on both bands. I don't know, however, how traffic flow across the two links would be handled. There are no routers or APs I know of that do link aggregation of multiple WDS links.

two WiFi routers = two WAN ports.
Which WAN port connects to the modem? ? ?

Answer: one of the WiFi routers' WAN port goes unused and it is configured as an Access Point, whose LAN port connects to a LAN port on the other router whose WAN port does connect to the modem.