What's new

Weak signal from my new Netgear R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fido2fido

New Around Here
Hi,

I just bought this R7000 router to replace the low end one provided by ISP company. However after setting it up at the same location as original one at basement, I found I got even worse signal strength. Using WiFi Analytics, I got 30 dBm standing right beside the router, and I got 58 dBm if I stand 8 meters away at the same floor, and I lost connection if I go upstairs. In any case, 2.4GHz is better.

I have confirmed the channel I am using is clean, and the antennas just seem okay to me (no broken or anything). Based on the signal above, can anybody tell me if my unit is defective or if there is any settings may improve the strength?

Thanks

Would help if you tell us which firmware version you're using. I find the few last ones provide worse coverage than previous ones

Would help if you tell us which firmware version you're using. I find the few last ones provide worse coverage than previous ones

I just log into the web-page-based interface and click firmware update. So I would assume this is the whatever latest version. Do you have any signal strength number for reference? thx

Does vortex gives better range? What is the reason to use this 3rd party fw? Thx

Range should be better. We can't really tell it for you unless you try it. I used to use XVortex and range was better for me, but YMMV

The reason for third party firmware is simple: NETGEAR's stock firmware is pretty basic and (a bit?) buggy. They also don't seem to want to fix important outstanding problems many users have complained about for over a year now. I was happy with XVortex until latest release started to drain my phone's battery and I couldn't fix it. I also wanted to use guest network with bandwidth limit, which lacks from ASUSWRT-Merlin or XVortex (which is based on the former) so I switched to Tomato, which offers everything and more...

XVortex is basically ASUSWRT-Merlin on the R7000

same location as original one at basement
so does anyone live in the basement ?

if not get it moved to the same level as the living areas

if it need to be both levels i suggest you look at other solutions to get the wifi to where its needed by running ethernet between the floors and a second wireless access point as without knowing the construction material of your house and of other wifi conditions we cant say how wifi will work

. In any case, 2.4GHz is better.

as it should be as physics never changes and the higher the frequency the less penetration power it has , i assume your old device didnt have 5 gig

I just bought this R7000 router to replace the low end one provided by ISP company. However after setting it up at the same location as original one at basement, I found I got even worse signal strength. Using WiFi Analytics, I got 30 dBm standing right beside the router, and I got 58 dBm if I stand 8 meters away at the same floor, and I lost connection if I go upstairs. In any case, 2.4GHz is better.

I have confirmed the channel I am using is clean, and the antennas just seem okay to me (no broken or anything). Based on the signal above, can anybody tell me if my unit is defective or if there is any settings may improve the strength?

Just as a quick question - what is the Router/AP/Gateway modem provided by the ISP - some of the newer ones are much better than the gear they supplied even 12 months ago...

The version of Netgear firmware you are running, should have WiFi Transmit Power Control (Tx) incorporated into the build. Check under: ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings. Try adjusting Tx setting. The increments are probably something like: 25 - 50 - 75 -100.

XVortex is basically ASUSWRT-Merlin on the R7000

Always felt a bit odd with that one - as it's Asus IP related to the WebGUI (copyright) and their own work inside the firmware... it's GPL, I know, but just feels weird...

Always felt a bit odd with that one - as it's Asus IP related to the WebGUI (copyright) and their own work inside the firmware... it's GPL, I know, but just feels weird...

I agree. He also doesn't open source his changes. If I'm not mistaken, he used to have a github but he took it down. His site is also a rip-off of RMerlin's for ASUSWRT-Merlin.... Those Russians, I'm telling you... ;)

I agree. He also doesn't open source his changes. If I'm not mistaken, he used to have a github but he took it down. His site is also a rip-off of RMerlin's for ASUSWRT-Merlin.... Those Russians, I'm telling you... ;)

I would just consider the source - I trust RMerlin's work, as he has everything out there, and in public...

Should also note that Netgear does have a very good FOSS community... worthwhile to check out. Kong, Shibby, and Toastman are the central players, and they seem to have at least implicit support from Netgear.

http://www.myopenrouter.com

There will be an option to change country, look for it and change it to Australia, and see the difference.
It worked for me.

I used to use XVortex and range was better for me
XVortex is ugly. Even uglier than the stock Firmware. I did use Kong DD-WRT for a few months but the constant weekly updates that would always break more than it fixed I got tired so now I use the latest version of Advanced Tomato. The GUI is pleasing to use and it gives me as good range as the stock firmware.

Hi,

Thanks
I used to own R7000 and 30dbm is not typical near the router. It should be 20dbm or couple dbm less. Quickest way to see is since you just bought it, exchange for another one. I know latest R7000 seems to have
some issues because they keep changing. If you want, you could try at least 6 months or older f/w.

XVortex is ugly. Even uglier than the stock Firmware. I did use Kong DD-WRT for a few months but the constant weekly updates that would always break more than it fixed I got tired so now I use the latest version of Advanced Tomato. The GUI is pleasing to use and it gives me as good range as the stock firmware.

Well, beauty is only skin deep, you know, and is a personal choice as well...XVortex is very functional and provides a lot more information about your clients and what's connected to your LAN, and how they're connected than stock firmware. I agree, I'm pretty tired of the "Black Knight" theme, but if it's the better choice functionally I'll make an effort to ignore the theme and just use it.

I like tomato as well, advanced tomato is simply a more modern looking GUI on top of Shibby's tomato releases (as you may know *smile*). Personally, I like "classic" tomato better than advanced tomato, but again, that's a personal thing. My experience has been that XVortex has a slight edge in wireless performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!