What's new

Web Interface for RT-AC86U not working, need to reboot router

austenpowers

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I just recently moved from the stock ASUSwrt firmware to the Merlin f/w, and i've noticed an issue. Now, for some reason, I'm having trouble hitting the link for the Web interface login. I have to reboot the router and then the link works. I'm trying to hit http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp, but nothing happens. Then I reboot the router and i'm again able to login. Sorry if this is a known issue, i did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this problem. I am running the latest version of Merlin (ie. v384.17).

Thanks,
Todd

kernol

Very Senior Member
Hi All,

I just recently moved from the stock ASUSwrt firmware to the Merlin f/w, and i've noticed an issue. Now, for some reason, I'm having trouble hitting the link for the Web interface login. I have to reboot the router and then the link works. I'm trying to hit http://router.asus.com/Main_Login.asp, but nothing happens. Then I reboot the router and i'm again able to login. Sorry if this is a known issue, i did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this problem. I am running the latest version of Merlin (ie. v384.17).

Thanks,
Todd
I have also experienced the webui being unresponsive - but it started happening only after updating unbound_manager. I have all add-ons per my signature on my RT-AC86U. Fortunately I have scMerlin Script installed - and option 3 kick starts the webui without a reboot. I doubt that it is the firmware - but the logs have so far not helped me determine what causes the webui "crash".

austenpowers

Occasional Visitor
@kernol Thanks very much for the tip... I have installed scMerlin and I can now give my WebUI a kick without having to reboot my router (which was quite annoying). I don't know what caused this problem with the WebUI becoming unresponsive in my case, but the only change I made was to replace the stock f/w with the Merlin f/w. And I never had this problem with the stock f/w. But perhaps there is some setting which is causing this problem (I don't know). Anyway, at least I have a MUCH better workaround now thanks to you!

Zodiacus

New Around Here
@kernol Thanks very much for the tip... I have installed scMerlin and I can now give my WebUI a kick without having to reboot my router (which was quite annoying). I don't know what caused this problem with the WebUI becoming unresponsive in my case, but the only change I made was to replace the stock f/w with the Merlin f/w. And I never had this problem with the stock f/w. But perhaps there is some setting which is causing this problem (I don't know). Anyway, at least I have a MUCH better workaround now thanks to you!
I am having the exact same problem with my RT-AC88U , stock MerlinWRT updated to the latest version 384.19, only have DNS Privacy Protocol = DoT, have you guys figured out a solution?

kernol

Very Senior Member
I am having the exact same problem with my RT-AC88U , stock MerlinWRT updated to the latest version 384.19, only have DNS Privacy Protocol = DoT, have you guys figured out a solution?
Never could figure out the root cause of the problem in my RT-AC86U - but whatever it was ... after doing nuclear reset and manual rebuild after flashing 384.19 the frozen webui has not recurred - despite plenty of opportunity for it to do so.

zz63

New Around Here
Never could figure out the root cause of the problem in my RT-AC86U - but whatever it was ... after doing nuclear reset and manual rebuild after flashing 384.19 the frozen webui has not recurred - despite plenty of opportunity for it to do so.
It has happened to me 2 times in two weeks with rt-ac2900 (rt-ac86U).

I see that for years it has happened to more people but there is no solution, just restart the httpd service.

It seems to be the case with merlin firmware but not with stock firmware.

What firmware do you have?

I have the router in AP mode and connected a 4TB Toshiba 3.0 hard drive.

kernol

Very Senior Member
It has happened to me 2 times in two weeks with rt-ac2900 (rt-ac86U).

I see that for years it has happened to more people but there is no solution, just restart the httpd service.

It seems to be the case with merlin firmware but not with stock firmware.

What firmware do you have?

I have the router in AP mode and connected a 4TB Toshiba 3.0 hard drive.
My signature reveals all - routers / firmware and add-ons ;).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!