What's new

Website Hosting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting a business consulting service and looking for advice on who I should use to host my website. My website is a very basic HTML site without flash or video. Does anyone have recommendations on which company I should engage with for hosting my site. The domain I purchased is currently registered with GoDaddy.

Appreciate any feedback.
BostonDan

How Big? How much traffic? Does it need to be up 7/24? E-Commerce involved? Using a content management system? Have to be on a particular OS ( Linux, Windows ) or WebServer (Apache, IIS, etc )?

If it is a very simple HTML site that can run under Apache, there are numerous free hosting sites, take a look at ByteHost for example.

The only problem you may find with free hosting is reliability...

Last edited:
Hi GregN,
The website is very small, total size is currently under 10MB. I will not be conducting e-commerce. It needs to be up 7/24 and I'm not using a content management systems(unless you consider Microsoft Expression a content management system). Reliability is very important. I'm using this as a sales tool to use with referrals and not with a wide audience. I'm expecting very limited traffic, but I have no idea if I'm correct. I'm currently leaning towards InMotion Hosting due to a few review websites I've seen, but I have no idea if the reviews are objective or review sites hosted by InMotion Hosting. Most important to me is reliability and support.

Thanks again
Dan

Free and reliable hosting, from experience, tends to be mutually exclusive.

At 10Meg, running Apache as a webserver, you could do it at home. Pay the few bucks for a fixed IP or use DynDNS...

At home the downside tends to be performance, your upload speed is limited. With low traffic, it isn't so much an issue. Also some ISPs block port 80, so you'd need a redirect

If reliability is a major issue, beyond that of assurances from the hoster, you need to get an SLA from them that has penalties. You won't obviously find cheap or free hosting with an SLA, but if you have to be sure....

For many years, my personal web site is on my always-on garage PC. Also on that PC is Sage TV (TiVo-alike, for HD), HomeSeer for home automation, and other apps.

The web server is within the HomeSeer software. In addition to home automation control/status remotely, I have my own HTML web pages, some of which have server-side asp (VB script) and server-side java script for dynamic content. The HTTP server in HomeSeer passes these scripts to Windows' Scripting Host (WSH).

Because this web server isn't Apache nor MS's IIS, it has proven to not be attractive to hackers.

Indeed, my home upstream speed to my ISP is but 1Mbps, but that's fine for my needs.

My domain name is provided by Hover.com (GoDaddy is on my black list). DynDNS deals with the IP address from my ISP- which very rarely changes.

But all of this is for my DIY/fooling around. Perhaps your needs are very modest and can be met with one of the free or nearly free hosting services.

Last edited:
If you're registered with GoDaddy they often have cheap hosting deals...

I run several websites from a Synology DS111 at my house (cable connection, 22mbps down, 5mbps up). This Synology also keeps backups of the computers around the house and runs Squeezebox server for my Squeezebox units around the house, amongst other things. It's fast, very reliable, and pretty easy to set up. I put a poll about site speed on one website and posted the site address to my Facebook asking people to answer the poll about how fast the site loaded. Most of the people all around the country said it either came up lightning fast or very fast, and it's not a small site.

For a small site I'd go with this solution again vs paying for hosting in a heartbeat... I'm fairly comfortable that it can handle a fair amount more with no slowdown. It was sad that I was paying for hosting and it was slower than my Synology on a cable modem.

You can have it hosted by Godaddy too. They also offered web hosting services. You can go with Siteground. Hence what you got is a very basic website then why not have it hosted by this free web hosting providers (ex: 000webhost.com)? You're not gonna be using a free subdomain through this free web host cuz you already got a domain from Godaddy so your domain address won't look like a freebie. As long as you not create an e-mail account or stream audio/video content from their site (link it on outside source) it's reliable & they're not gonna stop your hosting for excessive bandwidth use or mass e-mail spamming activity.

You can host it on your own too but you need a NAS to host it (like what I did). Hosting it through a regular desktop computer using WAMP, XAMPP, etc. (Apache distribution) is very unreliable cuz you need to have it hosted on a computer that's always ON. If you're hosting it on your own you have total control of it (no bandwidth limits, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posts, guys. But this is an old thread. Start a new discussion, please if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!