What's new

Weid behaviour with my RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GuyonWoW

New Around Here
Hi everyone, i have this router since a couple years, and never had any issue.
I'm using it with a FTTH 1Gb connection and it always done great.
Today it started givine me hiccups... Sometimes the connection drops down to a reallllly low sleep for a couple minutes, and all i see in the logs is:

Jan 5 23:05:05 kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
Jan 5 23:05:06 kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
Jan 5 23:05:32 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Jan 5 23:05:33 rc_service: bwdpi_check 502:notify_rc start_firewall
Jan 5 23:05:34 miniupnpd[26204]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jan 5 23:05:34 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_vlan835)!
Jan 5 23:05:34 miniupnpd[26459]: version 1.9 started
Jan 5 23:05:34 miniupnpd[26459]: HTTP listening on port 60509
Jan 5 23:05:34 miniupnpd[26459]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

I honestly have no idea what that means and why it happens, but it just started today.
I have AirProtection, QoSm and all services off, the only one active is the Firewall.

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_7266

Thank you!

You are using a firmware version that is years old. :)

Time to upgrade, do a full reset, and then minimally and manually configure the router. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not use old settings 'blindly' that previously worked.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

See the M&M Config and (if necessary) the Nuclear Reset guides to get your router and network more secure, fully updated, and working as you expect.

I would recommend RMerlin firmware for your router, but even stock Asus firmware is better than what you're running on it now.

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

RT-AC68U BIOS & FIRMWARE | Networking | ASUS Canada

Just for the records:
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266
2017/02/14
Almost 4 years old, a whole lot of security fixes and other fixes have been implemented after this version.
It is a miracle it worked obviously fine all that time ;)
My honest opinion is that GuyonWoW's router is by far not an exception, I think the majority of consumer routers get delivered, installed and not looked after until their end of life years after.

I know the FW is outdated, but:
- it's the one working better with the FTTH, newest ones seems to work with worse performances (at least with my isp)
- it has always worked fine up to now
- i have no idea what these log messages means

Updating doens't cost me anything, i can surely try, but is it possible to revert to an OLDER fw if performances gets worse like the isp says? I can reach 1GB atm, they said with newer fw it won't go faster than 700mbs (i don't even know why tho).

Thank you.

PS: this how it normally goes:

1609923906212.png

I never ever had an issue untill yesterday :\ where i had small period of time with the speed dropping to 20d/5u

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!