What's new

Weird Behavior of my AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jerry Loh

Occasional Visitor
So, I am using my AC86U for years now as an AiMesh node. Until recently it started to do something weird. My problem is the router keeps bootlooping/restarting. With some playing around, I tried to use the firmware restoration tool, updating to the latest firmware and of course, WPS reset. I found out that if the node is using Australia region in professional setting (Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp), it will do the weird stuff. Every time I restored firmware or reset the router, it will be fine until I changed that region setting. Not sure what is going on... Can't get the log since it keeps on and off. I didn't try other region settings because I have used this setting since the beginning I have this router. Any help? Let me know how I can help.

Below attached old syslog because at first it is rebooting randomly, until now every 1-2 minutes reboots.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    412.4 KB · Views: 124
until now every 1-2 minutes reboots.

If reset to default doesn’t help, you perhaps need to replace this router. AC86U has a history of multiple hardware failures, overheating and software issues. Search SNB Forums for more information.

If reset to default doesn’t help, you perhaps need to replace this router. AC86U has a history of multiple hardware failures, overheating and software issues. Search SNB Forums for more information.
resetting helps, but not after changing the Australia region setting.

@Jerry Loh Your router has illegal Koolshare firmware installed on it.

1. Perform a hard reset: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
  2. Boot into Rescue Mode and install a genuine version of stock Asus or Merlin firmware: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/
  3. Perform another hard reset.
  4. Check the syslog for signs of Koolshare.
Already did. I know, even after changing to Merlin firmware it still does bootloop if I changed the region setting to Australia.

Already did. I know, even after changing to Merlin firmware it still does bootloop if I changed the region setting to Australia.
The embedded territory code needs to match that of the main router. So for example if you bought the main router in the US and imported the node from China they won't work together.

The embedded territory code needs to match that of the main router. So for example if you bought the main router in the US and imported the node from China they won't work together.
Both my router bought from a seller. Both router is China box with Chinese wordings. So I assume both are from China.
Main router is using Asia region, node is using Australia back then. So I wondered why does it behave not normally after so many years later.
I'm using China in nodes region for now, it is working properly at least currently. So should I tried both Asia region?

Both my router bought from a seller. Both router is China box with Chinese wordings. So I assume both are from China.
Main router is using Asia region, node is using Australia back then. So I wondered why does it behave not normally after so many years later.
I'm using China in nodes region for now, it is working properly at least currently. So should I tried both Asia region?
You'll have to experiment for yourself to find what works. There's no official documentation about this. All I know is that people have reported problems when using routers/nodes with mismatched regions.

I can't see anything obviously wrong. It's suspicious that it happened at exactly 22:00. Also check the syslog on the primary router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!