What's new

Weird behavior on X4S R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amrogers3

Occasional Visitor
Bought a Nighthawk X4S R7800 based upon reviews here.

Had it now for a couple years, problem is lately I am noticing it dropping connections. Most recently observed with a Chromecast device and a Samsung TV. Attached both devices to a very old Apple AirPort Extreme and they work fine with no connection issues.

Appears to also have spotty coverage and sometimes I notice slower download speeds.

I am not sure where to start troubleshooting. The R7800 is fully updated. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

You may want to reset your router to factory defaults and manually configure it afterward.

You may also want to try the Voxel firmware for your router too. :)

Your power supply could be failing. Unfortunately, you'd need another power supply to swap in. Any supply with the same voltage and current capacity (printed on the supply label) and tip type will work.

It could also be that a new user or device has appeared in your neighborhood and is using a lot of bandwidth. Try changing channel in the band that is the problem. For 2.4 GHz use channel 1, 6 or 11, 20 MHz bandwidth. For 5 GHz, if you're using channel 36-48, change to a higher band channel, or vice versa.

You have this channels to choose from on 5GHz band.

iu

I suggest staying out of the DFS channels. You could be in radar range and this would just introduce another variable.

The reason why I suggest choosing a channel in another UNII band is that a 5 GHz 80 MHz wide channel uses four channels. The channel you set is the control channel that is used to contend for the channel and for management messages. Data can use the control channel, plus three adjacent channels. Interference could occur in any of those channels.

You may want to reset your router to factory defaults and manually configure it afterward.

You may also want to try the Voxel firmware for your router too. :)

Thanks for the recommendations. Is Voxel similar to something like DDWRT? I used to run WRT on an old Linksys router and it was an amazing frontend with tons of functionality.

Your power supply could be failing. Unfortunately, you'd need another power supply to swap in. Any supply with the same voltage and current capacity (printed on the supply label) and tip type will work.

It could also be that a new user or device has appeared in your neighborhood and is using a lot of bandwidth. Try changing channel in the band that is the problem. For 2.4 GHz use channel 1, 6 or 11, 20 MHz bandwidth. For 5 GHz, if you're using channel 36-48, change to a higher band channel, or vice versa.

Might be power supply, I ran wireless diagnostic on my Mac and chose the least used channels based off the results.

Here is my current setup:

I am trying to post a new wireless diagnostics output but I will have to attach it later after it completes. Taking too long and it is almost 1:00 in the morning here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.32.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.32.15 AM.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.32.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.32.42 AM.png
    128 KB · Views: 255
@amrogers3, many believe it to be superior to DDWRT for the routers Voxel supports. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!