What's new

Weird device Belkin out of nowhere

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I have the RT-AX86U, connected to Frontier Fiber on the WAN port, and T-Mobile Home Internet to the 2.5G port, no other device connected to any of the LAN ports.

Sometimes when I go to the list of devices connected I will get this one, I have no Belkin device at home, and it says it is a WIRED device, could it be that the Cold-Standby T-Mobile Gateway connected to the 2.5G port is showing up randomly?

Thanks

1657994470588.png

I have the RT-AX86U, connected to Frontier Fiber on the WAN port, and T-Mobile Home Internet to the 2.5G port, no other device connected to any of the LAN ports.

Sometimes when I go to the list of devices connected I will get this one, I have no Belkin device at home, and it says it is a WIRED device, could it be that the Cold-Standby T-Mobile Gateway connected to the 2.5G port is showing up randomly?

Thanks

View attachment 42862

Did you configure the 2.5G LAN/WAN port to be a 2.5G WAN port, or is it still the default LAN port5?

OE

So far as I'm aware, and I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but the client names we see are often not specified by the client. Instead, these names often need to be guessed by the router using published tables on the allocation of MAC addresses to vendors. Sometimes that info is wrong or confusing!

So far as I'm aware, and I'm sure that if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but the client names we see are often not specified by the client. Instead, these names often need to be guessed by the router using published tables on the allocation of MAC addresses to vendors. Sometimes that info is wrong or confusing!

Yes, but in this case a MAC lookup says the MAC prefix is of Belkin. I suspect the entry is from when the box was connected to the 2.5G port before it was configured for 2.5G WAN... the router then gave it a DHCP IP address and logged it(?)

OE

The T-Mobile Internet gateway is a Nokia device, definitely not Belkin

Definitely not T-Mobile, too, I suppose. :)

Lookup any MACs on it to see who they belong to.

Wireshark · OUI Lookup Tool

The router assigned an IP to it... it was on your LAN. Only you know the likely culprits.

OE

Lookup tool says: Belkin International Inc.

Then Belkin/Linksys is probably the OEM behind the Ethernet port bits.

The client lists are often out of sync. I would not worry about an expired entry... it will go away until the next time you reset the router and 2.5G becomes LAN5 again until you configure it otherwise.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!