What's new

[Weird issue] 384.8 not functionnal with AC2900 bought in switzerland

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HugePines

New Around Here
Hi guys,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your work and service. This forum has been pretty helpful in my unusual experience.

I got my AC2900 out of the box today and after an automatically suggested firmware update, immediately tried to install Merlin 384.8.
I encountered a first problem when trying to upload a custom firmware using chrome (on Asus' up to date firmware), the function did not work... So I reopened good old Edge and managed to upload the 384.8 firmware in my AC2900, and as planned, my router rebooted in 384.8.

But then the real problems started. I tried to change settings on the dhcp page but the "Apply" button on the bottom of the panel was unresponsive, on chrome, and on edge. I noticed that some drop down menus were bugged as well...

So I downloaded 384.7_2 and tried to upload it to see if it made a difference. But again, the manual firmware upload option was unresponsive, both on chrome and edge.

I had to use Asus' firmware recovery tool and put the router in rescue mode in order to upload 384.7_2.
Once i did that, all the aforementionned functions were working like charms. I haven't had the time to test a lot of things but I wanted to report my experience, as I have not found any similar issue with AC2900's or AC86U (my router has both AC2900 and RT-AC86U markings on its box...) yet.

Is there any risk staying on 384.7_2 for the moment ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day !

If you were using French on the webui, there's currently a known issue in 384.8 with it. You can either switch back to English, use an early test build with a fix, or wait for 384.8_2.

Oh I see, thank you very much for this quick answer, but in case I want to give it another try, should I put my ui in English before upgrading to 384.8 or can I still swap the language once it has been update ? Because I kind of remember having trouble setting the router in english, but cannot recall under what firmware...

EDIT : Found my answer, all good ! Thanks a lot !

Last edited: