What's new

Weird MacOS VPN Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

czrabode

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I'd like to ask for help about a VPN connection issue I'm having with my iMac. This computer has 2 user profiles, mine and my wife's.

Here's the problem: When the computer sleeps while the VPN is still connected in my profile, and my wife logs in to her profile, then she won't have an internet connection. The only way for her to gain internet access is to go to my profile and disconnect the VPN and then go back to her profile.

When the computer is awake and I just switch over to my wife's profile, things work and she has internet connection. But if I let the computer go to sleep and she logs in, then there is a problem.

Ideally, for security reasons, I'd like to have an always on VPN connection. If I have to manually turn it off and on, I'll probably forget to turn it on.

I noticed this problem on VPN Provider #1 using both the provider's MacOS app and using Mac's built in IKEv2 connection. I also tried a different VPN Provider and the same thing happened. So I'm thinking that the issue is not with VPN Provider #1 per se but with my iMac.

Has anyone noticed this issue with their MacOS device? Any solutions?

I thought about this but it's not ideal. I'd feel guilty of using up electricity unnecessarily.

You're still using electricity unnecessarily. ;)

If a green footprint is of the highest importance, then test to see what uses more power in a month; shutting off the computer between uses or letting it run. I have a feeling that the difference will be very small for most users (we seem to always be using the computer for something).