What's new

Weird menu in RT-AC66U for 2.4 GHz control Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr. Nefario

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC66U non-B Router that has developed a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio. There is no light or activity on the 2.4 GHz band. I have the latest firmware (RT-AC66U_9.0.0.4_382_52503-gf8d6575.trx) and the configuration for the 2.4 GHz control channel shows channel numbers that are what you would expect for the 5 GHz band, i.e. 30, 31...etc. I have factory reset, loaded the new FW, configured everything from scratch. Any ideas?

... and the configuration for the 2.4 GHz control channel shows channel numbers that are what you would expect for the 5 GHz band, i.e. 30, 31...etc.
The incorrect channel numbers are caused by the non-functioning 2.4GHz radio. This usually indicates a hardware failure of that radio. The radio can sometimes be reset by removing the router's power (while the router is turned on) and waiting a few seconds to ensure any residual power has drained before plugging it back in. But I guess you've already done this.

I have an RT-AC66U non-B Router that has developed a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio. There is no light or activity on the 2.4 GHz band. I have the latest firmware (RT-AC66U_9.0.0.4_382_52503-gf8d6575.trx) and the configuration for the 2.4 GHz control channel shows channel numbers that are what you would expect for the 5 GHz band, i.e. 30, 31...etc. I have factory reset, loaded the new FW, configured everything from scratch. Any ideas?

Did you factory reset after you installed the firmware?

OE

AFAIK, yes. but I would be willing to try again. Honestly, I thought I bricked it. But I set it in the cold overnight, rebooted and let it alone until the WiFi 5GHz light came on. Then I configured the settings throught the web GUI. Now, only the 5 GHz WiFi light is on.

AFAIK, yes. but I would be willing to try again. Honestly, I thought I bricked it. But I set it in the cold overnight, rebooted and let it alone until the WiFi 5GHz light came on. Then I configured the settings throught the web GUI. Now, only the 5 GHz WiFi light is on.

It could be a hardware failure as was noted above.

Here are some reset references:

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

Thanks, I've tried all of these methods and still have no 2.4 GHz. I am assuming it is a hardware failure.
I have substituted another router for the job that this one was doing, but might tinker with it.
It was a good router while it was working, but a web search has turned up several instances where the 2.4 GHz radio has failed.
Some have been replaced under waranty, but well past that time now. I thank the folks who replied in such a short time. This is my first time on the forum and am impressed at the help that I found here. :)