What's new

WFC Windows Firewall Control - Issue w/ Import??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flipmode11

Regular Contributor
Hello guys,
Just a topic about the *real* good software called "WFC" (Windows Firewall Control) originally by Binisoft (now free under Malwarebytes). It is REALLY good and you just need to make sure you go through settings and enable Notifications so you can allow/block etc. Plus gives you ability to block inbound and outbound connections much more easily, plus monitor connection log, etc.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone could please test exporting their WFC rules (Options » Rules » Export Windows Firewall Rules)
Upon import, it shows a progress bar and then after a few seconds then states operation / restore successful.
However all the rules are exactly as they were prior to import.
Reboot. Nothing has changed. No rules have been imported.

Reset Rules > Yes.
Import Rules
Nothing changes! Just default WFC rules (or default Windows rules).

I don't think the feature works... Or, perhaps there is a corruption in my rules? Nope. Cannot even restore default blank rule backup!!!

Could someone please give this a try and see whether the rules are correctly restored? (e.g. delete one unimportant rule).
Thank you!

That was a good program until sold to the devil. I used WFC for years , after it changed hands many odd things started to happen and I ended up deleting it.

You can do all you need in Windows Firewall and Advanced settings , it just needs a bit more time to achieve the same result.

Yeah it was made by Binisoft ($ cheap), then Malwarebytes took over the project and WFC became $0 free.
I think you will see an update in future when MBAM offers an integrated firewall and pre-made recommended secure rule-sets....

I downgraded from v6.0.2 and went back to v5. But have now upgraded from v5 to v6.4.0 to try and get the Export / Import feature to work. Importing makes NO CHANGES to the firewall rules.

I was hoping someone could test it on their sytem and determine if it is either A) my system, or B) WFC issue.

Thanks guys!

I think you will see an update in future when MBAM offers an integrated firewall and pre-made recommended secure rule-sets....

That is what scares me more than anything, if you're really concerned about your system security you need to be making these decisions and know exactly what rules are set and what they are doing.

If you search the forum this question came up previously and others found that directly after the sale many very strange events started to occur. WFC was making wrong decisions, rules were not being obeyed, there was a huge delay or no action when a new connection was made or an app was installed.

Personally I wouldn't trust MalwareBytes for anything and certainly wouldn't want them setting rules on my systems.

The Windows firewall properly set up in the Security Center will be more secure.

If you really want security lose WFC and get " Configure Defender" which will give you full use of Windows Security .

Configure Windows Defender

AndyFul GitHub Configure Defender

Malwaretips / Configure Windows Defender

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!