What's new

What Asus router should I buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrimDr

New Around Here
I currently have an AC3100 that covers about 85% of my house. There are 2 home offices w/ multiple VoIP lines. I have Spectrum highspeed and get 300mbps wired and mid 150's wireless in most areas. However, wireless gets really sketchy in a few areas and only works "sometimes."

Most of the TV media runs fine . I think I just need to expand the footprint.

I've been wanting to try the AIMesh for a year now.

I would like to keep the investment under $350.

Options:
Do I just keep the 3100 as is, and buy an 86u and add that as a node? Or use the 86u as the main router and turn the 3100 into the node?

Do I buy (2) 86u's w/ the Microcenter deal? If I do this, is the 3100 still worth having on the network?

I can also buy (1) AX88u?

Since I can write this off, I could even swing the 5300.

Is there something completely different I should look at?

Thanks for the input.

In my experience with the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U, the latter is the better router overall, particularly with 1Gbps up/down ISP speeds.

However, the 4 external antennae on the 'AC3100 is still superior in some situations (even though the 'AC86U has a forth 5GHz antennae internally). ;)

If you can wire an additional router in AP mode (yes, forget AiMesh for now is my recommendation) then the RT-AC86U would be the one I would buy today. The 'AX' routers are draft hardware today, with the software side not that much better too, over a good AC class router.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-first-wifi6-peek-asus-rt-ax88u-netgear-rax80

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33208-asus-aimesh-reviewed

With everything working as you need right now with the current router, and your ISP speeds far below the limits of the RT-AC3100, I would just add the RT-AC86U as an AP as outlined above. :)

The RT-AC5300 is much older tech and would not be worth considering today, for your environment.

I currently have an AC3100 that covers about 85% of my house. There are 2 home offices w/ multiple VoIP lines. I have Spectrum highspeed and get 300mbps wired and mid 150's wireless in most areas. However, wireless gets really sketchy in a few areas and only works "sometimes."

Most of the TV media runs fine . I think I just need to expand the footprint.

I've been wanting to try the AIMesh for a year now.

I would like to keep the investment under $350.

Options:
Do I just keep the 3100 as is, and buy an 86u and add that as a node? Or use the 86u as the main router and turn the 3100 into the node?

Do I buy (2) 86u's w/ the Microcenter deal? If I do this, is the 3100 still worth having on the network?

I can also buy (1) AX88u?

Since I can write this off, I could even swing the 5300.

Is there something completely different I should look at?

Thanks for the input.

I had a 68U. I bought another to try AiMesh. Then I replaced the two 68Us with two 86Us... for better hardware and WiFi range and Smart Connect node band steering support (same SSID).

If money is tight, just add a node. Otherwise, I'd go for the 86U bundle... a full upgrade.

OE

The RT-AC86U would be a better primary router, as it has a better CPU, and a more up-to-date software stack. Turn the AC3100 into either an AiMesh node or an Access Point.

You won't gain much just by replacing the primary router. These high-end routers are already pretty close to the limit of what can be achieved in terms of coverage. Positioning can yield more improvement than a new router, so the only way to make any significant coverage gain is by adding a second router.

Do not buy an RT-AC86U. They appear to be defective in general.

The wifi on mine started dropping clients after two weeks. The only way to get them back was to reset/pwr-cycle the router.

I received a warranty replacement that worked great for five months until last week when Gig port 1 died.

When it works it's a nice router and I really like it, but they seem to be junk from my personal experience and what I've read elsewhere.

The wifi on mine started dropping clients after two weeks. The only way to get them back was to reset/pwr-cycle the router.

I received a warranty replacement that worked great for five months until last week when Gig port 1 died.

When it works it's a nice router and I really like it, but they seem to be junk from my personal experience and what I've read elsewhere.

Hardly junk, by any estimation. :rolleyes:

I had a large house also and using 1 wireless router left me with a lot of dead air space in my house. I finally figured out I could go to a wired router with separate wireless APs to cover my whole house.

So, you joined this forum today to tell people not to buy a router? Why?

OE

The RT-AC86U would be a better primary router, as it has a better CPU, and a more up-to-date software stack. Turn the AC3100 into either an AiMesh node or an Access Point.

You won't gain much just by replacing the primary router. These high-end routers are already pretty close to the limit of what can be achieved in terms of coverage. Positioning can yield more improvement than a new router, so the only way to make any significant coverage gain is by adding a second router.

I agree with this. In my estimation, its the most popular ASUS router to purchase because of its excellent performance at a very reasonable price.

And the AC86U is not defective in general.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!