What's new

What Asus router would be your recommendation for general customer use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ex313

Regular Contributor
I am thinking about carrying a few Asus units in inventory to handle people with router issues, as part of a local computer repair biz.

My initial thought was ac1200 maybe the ac1900 - as it will cover decent square footage and has enough cpu to support a decent number of devices.

Any thoughts on something as a generic - "hey you need a new router" or "lets get you off the wifi/router built into your modem"

Thanks for the input.

It depends on pricing and availability in your particular country/region but I'd suggest the RT-AC66U_B1 which is effectly a repackaged RT-AC68U.

It depends on pricing and availability in your particular country/region but I'd suggest the RT-AC66U_B1 which is effectly a repackaged RT-AC68U.
I agree. The AC66U-B1 (aka AC1750-B1) should be a gr8 entry level router. (From what I've read about $50 cheaper than the AC1900 with comparable performance.) Then maybe an AC86U (AC2900) as a high end choice? (A high end choice might help drive a low end sale?)

Myself, I love the Asus built-in traffic monitor; might help you with solving a customer's Internet/networking issues someday.

I'll second the AC66U_B1. Good bang for you buck and a solid router based on the 68U's history and performance.

When I was selling hardware, we were mostly selling RT-N300 (and RT-N12 before that). 90% of people don't even have AC clients, and their Internet connection won't saturate a basic 802.11n interface, so it got the job done.

We typically only kept one RT-AC56U or RT-N66U in stock, anything higher was on special order.

Newegg is selling AC1200 for $59 and Best Buy is blowing out their 1900P at $99. Seems like the AC56U has gotten some bum reviews as of late.

Newegg is selling AC1200 for $59 and Best Buy is blowing out their 1900P at $99. Seems like the AC56U has gotten some bum reviews as of late.

The RT-AC56U is slowly getting phased out with the release of these new AC1200 models, which didn't exist back then. The RT-AC66U_B1 also pushed the RT-AC56U down the price ladder since its release.

I would no longer recommend the RT-AC56U today, the RT-AC66U_B1 pretty much replaces it, with a better product.