What's new

what can you change your IP to

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Can you for example change an IP from 192.168.1.1 to 280.150.2.1 or can you only change the last digit or two

Last edited:
They have to be within the allocated private address ranges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_addresses
not really, you can actually use any IP address you desire, but if it just so happens to be the same as one on the internet then your traffic will just get redirected to your router instead.

Literally, any IP address/network you desire. You could have an ip of 14.65.1.1/24 and it will give a network of up to .254

For best practice, keep to the agreed private/LAN IPs but its literally up to you what IP you want to use. The only exception is 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 .

True. I probably should have said "They ought to be.." rather than "They have to be...". With over 16 million 10. addresses available there's really no excuse not to.

not really, you can actually use any IP address you desire, but if it just so happens to be the same as one on the internet then your traffic will just get redirected to your router instead.

Literally, any IP address/network you desire. You could have an ip of 14.65.1.1/24 and it will give a network of up to .254

For best practice, keep to the agreed private/LAN IPs but its literally up to you what IP you want to use. The only exception is 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 .
Thanks for that I sort of thought that would be the case but I just wanted to Run it by you guys ( gurus)

True. I probably should have said "They ought to be.." rather than "They have to be...". With over 16 million 10. addresses available there's really no excuse not to.
Thanks again Colin I did read a lot of the link you sent me interesting stuff

The only exception is 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 .
127.0.0.1 is definitely excluded too :)

In general, the best practice is to use a non-routable internet address for your private network. Otherwise, strange things can happen.

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

Thanks for that I sort of thought that would be the case but I just wanted to Run it by you guys ( gurus)
127.0.0.1 is definitely excluded too :)

In general, the best practice is to use a non-routable internet address for your private network. Otherwise, strange things can happen.

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16
if you change the loopback interface IP you can use it on any interface you like.

Basically you can create your own internet using a 0.0.0.0/0 network which wont be able to route with the existing internet, but all devices are configurable in that way, so theres even no harm in using a public IP block as a private one, only that you will not be able to browse those IPs or route to them.

think of it this way, if theres a country you want to block, you could use their IP block as your private IP block, and it would be impossible for your network to communicate with those IPs outside as your devices get them for internal use only. This is safer because no preexisting profile would work on your network should someone decide to use such a tool to scan your network or try to illegally route things to LAN IPs in your network.

Basically you can create your own internet using..................

Or you could stay with expected normal guidelines and parameters to make setup and troubleshooting in the future a heck of a lot easier :)

"Best Practices" are called that for a reason.

Or you could stay with expected normal guidelines and parameters to make setup and troubleshooting in the future a heck of a lot easier :)

"Best Practices" are called that for a reason.
Yes I have gone with the ,do nothing, option with a memory like mine I would have to tattoo a complex IP on my arm or I would forget it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!