What's new

What causes my 230Mb/s Cap?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrunchyInside

Occasional Visitor
Every once in awhile I come into a situation where my FIOS connection only performs at about 1/3 of capacity. Today is one of those days. I've plugged my test laptop right into the ONT from Verizon and I'm getting ~980MB/s. Then I plug into the ASUS and I get ~230MB/s. I've done all the reboots, hard and soft, and the problem persists. Last time this came up I pretty much wiped my 5300 and started from scratch. I *hate* doing that; it's a time sink.

I use JFFS scripts and have Entware on board with amtm. Skynet/Diversion. Something in the feature mix seems to eventually lead me to this situation of about 1/3 of expected performance. Anyone have any ideas as to what causes things to tip over?

Thanks.

Actually I'd rather delete the thread now if I can. The last time this came up it was because the reboot scheduler via the web app was doing something to slow me down. I'd switched over to using the entware scripts to autoschedule reboots. Now it seems that turning that off has solved my immediate problem. Very odd.

Actually I'd rather delete the thread now if I can. The last time this came up it was because the reboot scheduler via the web app was doing something to slow me down. I'd switched over to using the entware scripts to autoschedule reboots. Now it seems that turning that off has solved my immediate problem. Very odd.

Using Cake or Bandwidth limiter can also reduce your speeds due to NAT hardware acceleration being disabled unless you have a beefy router those wan speeds are hard to achieve without HW NAT and random things that bog the router you’ll notice the speed drop. Could also be your isp shares bandwidth among your neighbourhood and it’s over saturated at times.

230MB/s is pretty darn fast. Or did you mean 230Mb/s (mega bits per second) instead of 230MB/s (mega bytes per second)?

230MB/s is pretty darn fast. Or did you mean 230Mb/s (mega bits per second) instead of 230MB/s (mega bytes per second)?

Obviously they're not getting 980MB/s or even 230MB/s, pretty sure everyone realizes they meant Mb.

Using Cake or Bandwidth limiter can also reduce your speeds due to NAT hardware acceleration being disabled unless you have a beefy router those wan speeds are hard to achieve without HW NAT and random things that bog the router you’ll notice the speed drop. Could also be your isp shares bandwidth among your neighbourhood and it’s over saturated at times.

While not impossible that FIOS is saturated I've never seen or heard of them having any issues with that, they have a bunch of fibers to choose from and they spread houses out amongst them. In theory they can share one fiber strand amongst as many as 64 residences but even in really dense areas like NYC, unlikely to find that. I believe the data channel is ~2.5Gb/s shared amongst all households on the same fiber. In theory they can scale that up significantly with the use of newer ONTs, the main limitation is the TDM on the upstream data channel, to scale up to 10G or higher requires much more precise clocking and faster switching optics (each time slot gets smaller).

I suspect when they get to the point of increasing capacity they'll probably add more wavelengths and load balance customers amongst them, still using the same fiber, but just a guess at this point.

I've got their 300M service in a neighborhood that had very large uptake when FIOS moved in (everyone was sick and tired of Comcast) and have never seen a speed test that wasn't 350M.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!