What's new

What do you use the USB connection for?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

When I had a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, it had a built-in Plex Media Server so I am wondering how you guys make use of the USB port in the router. I tried it years ago but all it gave me was some browser-based interface to access the external HDD and when trying to play a movie, it wouldn't stream it but rather only play it after it copies it from the network to a temp directory then play it as a local file.

Last edited:
when trying to play a movie, it wouldn't stream it but rather only play it after it copies it from the network to a temp directory then play it as a local file.
There is a built in minidlna server in the firmware, but it's disabled by default. It's under "USB Application" in the sidebar.
I'm currently using usb for two drives, one for my media (building a new NAS so a temp measure), the second is for my entware install, scripts and swap file.

There is a built in minidlna server in the firmware, but it's disabled by default. It's under "USB Application" in the sidebar.
I'm currently using usb for two drives, one for my media (building a new NAS so a temp measure), the second is for my entware install, scripts and swap file.
Right, but let's say you're on an Android phone, how do you stream those movies?

I use VLC Player. Simple samba shares show up as folders in the built-in browser and files will play as if they're on the local file system. Don't even need a media server.

Last edited:
When I had a Netgear Nighthawk 7000, it had a built-in Plex Media Server so I am wondering how you guys make use of the USB port in the router. I tried it years ago but all it gave me was some browser-based interface to access the external HDD and when trying to play a movie, it wouldn't stream it but rather only play it after it copies it from the network to a temp directory then play it as a local file.
You can connect a printer that doesn't have an Ethernet port to the router using USB and create a networked printer.

Some hubs (though I understand not all work) will allow you to extend the number of ports available. I've used a hub on 2 different ASUS routers for years with no issue. I use connected storage for file sharing across devices and for media (video, music, photos) serving. The built-in mini-DLNA server works fine for serving to devices like Roku (through Roku Media Player). Android devices can access media files via Samba shares through apps like VLC player or MX Player Pro. Video file formats do have to match the player's capabilities to avoid the "download and convert" scenario.

I use VLC Player. Simple samba shares show up as folders in the built-in browser and files will play as if they're on the local file system. Don't even need a media server.
Just tried that and it worked like a charm! At first I tried setting the Media Server in the router but when trying to access the movies from VLC it would constantly ask for the username/pass of the router which I had to enter like 3 times till it finally played the movie it was not convenient. Then I tried the Samba server and that worked like charm without the need for passwords.

I (only) use the USB port for a USB stick with Entware and third-party scripts (currently only Skynet).