What's new

What does it mean when ISP doesn't provide IPv6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azuza

Occasional Visitor
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to home networking and such.

I've recently set up an AiMesh network using an AX86U as my main router.

I first seen the issue of IPv6 on my gaming console; but now, I've been more aware of it on my router.

I googled and found out my ISP doesn't utilize IPv6. So what would that mean for me? ... That I can't configure anything or don't have to worry anything about IPv6 related stuff?

Or, are there things I need to know about IPv6 for functional and/or security reasons?

Thanks,
AzuzA

I googled and found out my ISP doesn't utilize IPv6

That means IPv6 is not an available option to you, need it or not.

are there things I need to know about IPv6 for functional and/or security reasons?

We have a long thread here looking for the answers to this very same question:

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to home networking and such.

I've recently set up an AiMesh network using an AX86U as my main router.

I first seen the issue of IPv6 on my gaming console; but now, I've been more aware of it on my router.

I googled and found out my ISP doesn't utilize IPv6. So what would that mean for me? ... That I can't configure anything or don't have to worry anything about IPv6 related stuff?

Or, are there things I need to know about IPv6 for functional and/or security reasons?

Thanks,
AzuzA
maybe you should start here: ipv6.he.net/certification <- free IPv6 course/education, but it will help you understand your next steps
Do you need IPv6? Asus makes it VERY easy to set up DDNS through HE's tunnelbroker.net, and the course lets you grab a /48 delegation from them
Can you change ISPs easily? You need to ask any potential provider if they support IPv6 or provide customers with Native IPv6 connectivity <- this is the way

Xbox exclusively uses IPv6. When IPv6 address is not available, the console will try to setup an IPv6 tunnel (Teredo IIRC) and use that. In some scenarios the tunnel cannot be established and it will completely refuse to talk to Xbox services.

Last edited:
Xbox exclusively uses IPv6.

Not according to Microsoft:

Can you provide a link where it says IPv6 is a requirement? There are still thousands of ISPs with no IPv6 implementation and it's hard to believe Microsoft cut off all potential customers with no IPv6 option.

Can you provide a link where it says IPv6 is a requirement? There are still thousands of ISPs with no IPv6 implementation and it's hard to believe Microsoft cut off all potential customers with no IPv6 option.

It is not a requirement. Explained already above.

So basically, if you have no ipv6, your XBOX will try to make pseudo-ipv6-tunnel over your existing ipv4 connection? I am assuming what @grogi means is that your XBOX connection goes to crap if your IPV4 connection does not play nicely to doing this type of tunneling. So in a way, it sounds like they are trying to force the users hand to using their IPV6 platforms even if the user has only ipv4.

Xbox exclusively uses IPv6. When IPv6 address is not available, the console will try to setup an IPv6 tunnel (Toredo IIRC) and use that. In some scenarios the tunnel cannot be established and it will completely refuse to talk to Xbox services.

Not very true - and much of this is obsolete - MS shutdown their teredo gateways some time back...

Options - go native ipv6, or find a tunnel broker like Hurricane Electric...

Not very true - and much of this is obsolete - MS shutdown their teredo gateways some time back...

I'd prefer the native over the tunnel broker.
1663551004717.png

Gamer: Hey Microsoft your Xbox IPv4 NAT support is a broken pile of cr@p. Fix it.

Microsoft: Hey guys, remember that crappy Teredo protocol that never worked properly that we shut down 10 years ago? Let's use that.

Untitled.png

Gamer: Hey Microsoft your Xbox NAT support is a broken pile of cr@p. Fix it.

Microsoft: Hey guys, remember that crappy Teredo protocol that never worked properly that we shut down 10 years ago? Let's use that.

View attachment 44273
man seeing that as a gamer would definitely be a tough pill to swallow.

That means IPv6 is not an available option to you, need it or not.

Nonsense. 6in4 tunnels (exp. from HE) work well, even Netflix stopped complaining recently.

I even prefer HurricaneElectric over native IPv6 from my ISP, who is handling out /56 prefixes - they are assigned dynamically, change every ~24h... :| Configuring any firewall rules locally is close to impossible... :|

I don't know why they do that - if they are afraid of address exhaustion, they could repurpose the prefix after a period of inactivity, like 32 days or so. Probably a marketing thing.

6in4 tunnels

This is a great IPv6 support indeed. Exactly as IPv6 was planned to be used.

I'm not a gamer, but I do have working fine Xbox One on IPv4 only. I may take a closer look when I come back home how it does the trick. What I know for sure is Xbox doesn't have IPv6 as a requirement.

Like I said...but they should also take the "certification" to get the bigger picture of IPv6 in their own head

but they should also take the "certification"

It's not about "certification" only. Read below why this ISP may not want to do it:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!