What's new

What does "Persistent JFFS2 Partition" option do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kal1975

Regular Contributor
I'm going through installing entware-ng and one set of instructions says to enable custom scripts and configs and to format at next boot.

I'm trying to understand what that option does. There is already a JFFS partition, although very small, that is part of flash memory, I'm assuming.

I'm adding an external 64GB USB key and I'd like to install Entware-ng on the USB key. When you enable custom scripts, does that mean the USB key? Will formatting JFFS format the USB key or the internal /jffs directories?

Thanks in advance.

The option enables the /jffs/ partition on your device.
When formatting, only /jffs/ will be erased and created new with some standard directories inside like /configs/ and /scripts/.
This is where the user scripts reside as described in the wiki.

Entware will be written to the USB device and some scripts to start and shutdown will be written to the /jffs/scripts folder.

In newer versions of Asuswrt-Merlin the /jffs/ partition is enabled by default.

I guess what happened is the instructions were written before the /jffs/ partition was enabled by default and I'll just skip that step.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!