What's new

What is a good Multicast rate and Beacon Interval for a stable connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
I have an AX88U and the connection is amazing. However, every 10 or so minutes, I will get one big lag spike. I mostly concluded that these 2 settings, when adjusted, can help with stabilization. So I just want a recommended value. Atm, only 3 devices share the 5ghz band in my family. The router is in the room right below my room.

If there are other settings I can change to get a stable connection, please post them. However, the Beacon Interval and Multicast Rate seem to be the ones I need to change

Personally, I've never come across a situation where either of those settings needed to be changed from their defaults. If you have to change them to fix a problem with your devices that would be something you will have to determine yourself.

Stable connection compared to what? What devices are causing issues? Stationary or mobile? IoT?

Stable connection compared to what? What devices are causing issues? Stationary or mobile? IoT?
My old AC router was stable but gave me high ping. This AX88U gave me low ping but it spikes to 200 every 10 or so minutes. This is mostly for the stationary devices like our laptops and desktops.

What scripts and/or features/options are you using? Are you using a VPN?

What was your 'old ac router'? What firmware was on that? What scripts, features or options were you running on it?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config, see link in my signature for details) after flashing the firmware you want to use? And then proceeded to minimally and manually configure the router without using a saved backup config file?

What scripts and/or features/options are you using? Are you using a VPN?

What was your 'old ac router'? What firmware was on that? What scripts, features or options were you running on it?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config, see link in my signature for details) after flashing the firmware you want to use? And then proceeded to minimally and manually configure the router without using a saved backup config file?
My old router was a Linksys AC2200. It was the firmware out of the box not sure what it was. I don't have any scripts on any router I just upgrade firmwares. After I flashed the firmware on my AX88U, I unplugged it for a day. Then I factory reset it by holding the WPS button while pushing the power button

And what settings did you change from defaults afterward, if any? Same question for the features - what did you enable/use or test?

And what settings did you change from defaults afterward, if any? Same question for the features - what did you enable/use or test?
I have AX mode on and 160MHz enabled. I changed the channel to 40. I turned off TX Bursting. I turned off airtime fairness. That is about it I think

Sounds like the router could be going off channel to scan for radar. Use 80 MHz mode and don't set a DFS primary channel and see what happens.

Sounds like the router could be going off channel to scan for radar. Use 80 MHz mode and don't set a DFS primary channel and see what happens.
I did that and it got a little more stable. However, I still get a spike even though no1 is on the network. Signal strength based on the router and on apps is at a constant 98 % as well

I have AX mode on and 160MHz enabled. I changed the channel to 40. I turned off TX Bursting. I turned off airtime fairness. That is about it I think
You said you changed the Multicast rate and Beacon Interval. What did you change them to and what was the effect you observed?

I did not change those. I made this thread to ask for a value that I could change them too
I see. In which case the answer is to leave them at their default settings. They will have no bearing on the problem you're experiencing.

I did that and it got a little more stable. However, I still get a spike even though no1 is on the network. Signal strength based on the router and on apps is at a constant 98 % as well
Are you seeing the lag spike on 2.4 GHz too?

Are you seeing the lag spike on 2.4 GHz too?
Sorry, I cannot tell if spikes happen on 2.4 since I don't use it. I can spend the day on 2.4 to test. It just boggles my mind cause it stays stable and a good speed for around 30 minutes now ever since I set it to 80MHz and set the channel but then it just spikes for 3 seconds.

I have an AX88U and the connection is amazing. However, every 10 or so minutes, I will get one big lag spike. I mostly concluded that these 2 settings, when adjusted, can help with stabilization. So I just want a recommended value. Atm, only 3 devices share the 5ghz band in my family. The router is in the room right below my room.

If there are other settings I can change to get a stable connection, please post them. However, the Beacon Interval and Multicast Rate seem to be the ones I need to change

Multicast rate isn't going to affect gaming applications, so no sense playing with this.

Leave the beacon at 100, which should be the default.

Ok, so can doing multiple firmware flashes(in my case, 3 in 3 weeks) cause issues? Will a router that corrupts simply never work again or is it possible that it will work while corrupted but be unstable?

Yes, flashing firmware can introduce bugs and issues. Depending on what got 'corrupted', it may be fixable or not. Being 'unstable' or other wonkiness is a good sign of a need to put the router back to a good/known state.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

See the M&M Config, the Nuclear Reset, and other pertinent info to get your router and network back to using its expected defaults and to a good/known state.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!