What's new

What is Dropbear and why do I have it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oracle

Regular Contributor
I was going through my logs and found a lot of these:
Jun 17 09:23:50 dropbear[30247]: Child connection from 192.168.20.186:52905
Jun 17 09:23:57 dropbear[30247]: Password auth succeeded for 'admin' from 192.168.20.186:52905

Say what? Password succeeded?
I don't remember installing this, nor do I have it on my Windows machine.
What is it used for, where did it come from and shall I stop it? And how?
Is it the SSH I use via PuTTY?

I was going through my logs and found a lot of these:

Say what? Password succeeded?
I don't remember installing this, nor do I have it on my Windows machine.
What is it used for, where did it come from and shall I stop it? And how?
Is it the SSH I use via PuTTY?

Dropbear is built into the firmware.

Nice.
So these logins are my PuTTY sessions.

Can this be used to set up an sFTP server or something like that? And is it a good idea to make it accessible from outside?
I currently have OpenVPN and Samba but both the VPN and Samba add overhead on top of each other. And Samba sometimes gives me trouble.

Nice.

Can this be used to set up an sFTP server or something like that?
I don't know since I've never needed an SFTP on the router.

And is it a good idea to make it accessible from outside?
I currently have OpenVPN and Samba but both the VPN and Samba add overhead on top of each other. And Samba sometimes gives me trouble.
There was a discussion about this very topic on this forum. You can find my personal take here on this post:

As a general rule, I try to limit the router's duties to only the essential network operations, so I don't have a lot of other "stuff" running in the background. I have a NAS & file/media server on separate devices so the router itself is kept fairly lean. I primarily work from home (since the pandemic started), my wife works 3 times a week from home, and my 2 sons are taking their college courses online, so we rely heavily on the network router every day, which is why I don't add anything on it that I don't really need. I do have one OpenVPN Server set up for the rare occasion that I need access to the router from the outside, have added one 3rd-party add-on (YazFi), and have my own personal scripts installed. That's it. So far the RT-AC86 has been good to us. Aside from the "stuck nvram & wl commands" problem, I have not experienced any other issues that I've read about here (high CPU temperatures, faulty WiFi radios, not coming up after a reboot, etc.), so you can say that I've been very lucky in that regard. Hopefully, this router will last a couple of more years. I have two spare GL.iNet routers that I use when I'm traveling, so that's my current backup in case the RT-AC86U craps out all of a sudden. Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know.

That's fine.
I have a hosting provider for the important stuff but I also want to setup a few basic services directly on the router as a backup resource.

Nice.

Can this be used to set up an sFTP server or something like that? And is it a good idea to make it accessible from outside?
The Rule#1 and only of secure router management: "The only port opened to the WAN side ever shall be the port on which the OpenVPN server listens on." :) All other tasks should be performed through OpenVPN tunnel.

So here's where I stumbled.
Installed openssh-sftp-server, opened FileZilla and I was able to login directly with the admin password and get access to eeeverything.
I was expecting I'd have to setup a separate group and user, then assign the user to default home directory, etc.
How do I take away the admin access and only set a limited user with this thing?
Also, how do I see what services are running on the router? Shall I expect the vsftpd to start up on its own after next reboot?

I was expecting I'd have to setup a separate group and user, then assign the user to default home directory, etc.
How do I take away the admin access and only set a limited user with this thing?
As I said in the other thread, this isn't a multi-user Linux distro (it doesn't even have a useradd command). You could probably do it with a lot of faffing around with custom configs and scripts, but personally I wouldn't bother.

Also, how do I see what services are running on the router? Shall I expect the vsftpd to start up on its own after next reboot?
Code:
ps w

Hm, ok, I'll park this particular crazy idea.
Although, in theory, it should be possible.
If Asus could do their ftp implementation with users and permissions, why not allow for an sftp version of it?

If Asus could do their ftp implementation with users and permissions, why not allow for an sftp version of it?
Because they probably see no real reason to implement SFTP support in a home consumer router. It's a very niche application that only a small fraction of people would use.

And it's just another opportunity for exploits and something for people to not properly setup and secure.

Well, I got the impression Asus offered some kind of aidisk / aicloud feature that exposed files on attached USB storage to the Internet. How does this feature work and how is it secured?