What's new

What is easy way to create/edit files in JFFS partition?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tc143

Occasional Visitor
What are some easy ways to create/edit files, make directories, etc in the JFFS partition?

What are some easy ways to create/edit files, make directories, etc in the JFFS partition?
Hi,

To get the most out of your router you should install Entware.
There you can install the nano text editor, which will help you to create and edit all config files (incl. the one in JFFS) directly on the router. :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

To get the most out of your router you should install Entware.
There you can install the nano text editor, which will help you to create and edit all config files (incl. the one in JFFS) directly on the router. :rolleyes:

With kind regards

As any *nix OS the Asus-Merlin has the old, proven and powerful text editor named "vi". It will done everything you want ;) so in fact the Entware is not needed.

OP said easy, though. I've been using *nix for years and still can barely get around in vi without a cheat sheet. Nano, on the other hand, is truly easy.

OP said easy, though. I've been using *nix for years and still can barely get around in vi without a cheat sheet. Nano, on the other hand, is truly easy.

Many people say that vi is not easy, but my opinion is not the same. I am old man using *nix since beginning of 80-es so may be I'm not a good adviser ;)

But seriously speaking vi is good to create and edit simple config files.

What method to get cmd prompt to run vi?

Just login to the router using telnet or ssh and type "vi" on the command prompt. You may also go to the directory containing the config file you want to edit and type "vi <file name>, the vi will open the <file name>.

Just login to the router using telnet or ssh and type "vi" on the command prompt. You may also go to the directory containing the config file you want to edit and type "vi <file name>, the vi will open the <file name>.

Thx.

Can the "Tools - Run Cmd" tab in the webui also be used as a command prompt?

Hi,

The web interface runs a command and show the result.
This is not a interactive session to edit configuraiton files! :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Thx.

No.

It is better to activate the SSH service on the router and connect to it using ssh client. If you are using Linux PC you should just type ssh <router IP> or <router name> in terminal command prompt, in case of Windows PC you should use any ssh client, the freeware client named "Putty" is a good choice.

Strongly advise you to google the vi editor commands before starting to use them. Sometimes vi is recognized as "weird" by some people, so it is better to do your homework in advance.

vi works great.

For the few scripts I write I don't even think to install nano.
By that time I'm long done using vi. :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!