What's new

Solved What is expected speeds on AX86U with OpenVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torstein

Solved:
250/250 is about maximum what the AX86U can do with OpenVPN, due to OpenVPN being single-core only. Higher VPN speeds will require Wireguard, which is multi-core and currently in beta testing for 386.5.

Original post:
I tried searching snbforums and googling, but I can't find a very clear cut answer for AX86U. There's tons of threads for AC86U, though.

With everything optimal, on a 1gbps fiber cabled connection and Openvpn running through VPN Director with hardware accelerated encryption, and a fast VPN-provider with local servers, what speeds can one expect?

I'm getting 200/200 on my 1000/1000 connection. Without openvpn active it's 950/950. With Wireguard app locally on the mac I get 850/850. Just wondering if the 200/200 is normal or not, or if something is wrong. If anyone's curious, it's Mullvad VPN.

Last edited:
I tried searching snbforums and googling, but I can't find a very clear cut answer for AX86U. There's tons of threads for AC86U, though.

With everything optimal, on a 1gbps fiber cabled connection and Openvpn running through VPN Director with hardware accelerated encryption, and a fast VPN-provider with local servers, what speeds can one expect?

I'm getting 200/200 on my 1000/1000 connection. Without openvpn active it's 950/950. With Wireguard app locally on the mac I get 850/850. Just wondering if the 200/200 is normal or not, or if something is wrong. If anyone's curious, it's Mullvad VPN.

Lots of info here on site: turn off / rescind AiProtect and make sure QOS is not on (no benefit on a 1G connection).

"AX86U, merlin 386.3_2, fiber 1000/1000, skynet 7.2.8, nextdns-cli 1.37.7, aiprotect"

Last edited:
I tried with and without AIProtect, and a reboot inbetween. Made no difference.

I'm actually just curious what the expected speeds are on OpenVPN running on the AX86U router itself, and not troubleshooting why I may have lower speeds, but thanks for assisting anyways :)

Is the expected speeds around 200mbps? Or should it be higher?

I tried with and without AIProtect, and a reboot inbetween. Made no difference.

I'm actually just curious what the expected speeds are on OpenVPN running on the AX86U router itself, and not troubleshooting why I may have lower speeds, but thanks for assisting anyways :)

Is the expected speeds around 200mbps? Or should it be higher?

Look at what others are getting while using a VPN.

I don't understand you sending all your data to TrendMicro and trying to use a VPN at the same time. Seems counterproductive.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Look at what others are getting while using a VPN.

I don't understand you sending all your data to TrendMicro and trying to use a VPN at the same time. Seems counterproductive.

Sorry I wasn't much help.
What do you mean counterproductive? Aiprotect protects my network while i tunnel into it remotely :) or is there something about aiprotect i dont understand?

What do you mean counterproductive? Aiprotect protects my network while i tunnel into it remotely :) or is there something about aiprotect i dont understand?

I don't have a clue what you are protecting and what you mean by your network. My end devices run an antivirus. The tunneling feature has built in protection. Sending additional information to yet another organization that collects data is counterproductive IMHO.

@John Fitzgerald By "my network" I mean my home network, I thought that was obvious, what other network would I be writing about? My home network runs on ax86u. I have several devices connected to it which are not connected to any sort of vpn. And when I am openvpn-ing into my own home network with OpenVPN Connect app from my mac remotely, it is the ax86u that is serving me webpages. Yes I'm protected against bad actors on whichever public wifi I'm on due to Openvpn's encrypted tunnel back home into my ax86u but that tunnel doesn't protect me against online threats. I'm still vulnerable to those. Aiprotect supposedly protects against inbound attacks, offers an additional layer of malware protection and phishing attacks, and protects and blocks infected devices that connect to my home network (say a friend's android phone or windows pc). My VPN alone doesnt offer that, but aiprotect does. Or have I misunderstood this?

Last edited:
250Mbps download here using NordVPN. My ISP upload is only 42Mbps so I can't say what the limit is for that.

@John Fitzgerald By "my network" I mean my home network, I thought that was obvious, what other network would I be writing about? My home network runs on ax86u. I have several devices connected to it which are not connected to any sort of vpn. And when I am openvpn-ing into my own home network with OpenVPN Connect app from my mac remotely, it is the ax86u that is serving me webpages. Yes I'm protected against bad actors on whichever public wifi I'm on due to Openvpn's encrypted tunnel back home into my ax86u but that tunnel doesn't protect me against online threats. I'm still vulnerable to those. Aiprotect supposedly protects against inbound attacks, offers an additional layer of malware protection and phishing attacks, and protects and blocks infected devices that connect to my home network (say a friend's android phone or windows pc). My VPN alone doesnt offer that, but aiprotect does. Or have I misunderstood this?
You gave the impression in your original posts that all of your content was run through the VPN.

You gave the impression in your original posts that all of your content was run through the VPN.
I didn’t mention any other devices in my original post. Should have made that more clear. Thanks for chiming in :)

Last edited:
I am sort of surprised that you would be questioning the OpenVPN server performance on your router, AX86U or any other. Public WIFI's are not noted for their available bandwidth. Many are still running B/G WIFI which would be more restrictive than the processing power of your router. Others use bandwidth limiters to enable fair sharing of the free service. Even when my home ISP service was 10/1 DSL with AC66U_B1 I had no real problems VPNing home to enable a secure connection. I also ran an AC68U on a 35/10 cable service that worked very well.
Please remember that bandwidth is not everything. Security is much more important and I feel that my Asus router with Merlin firmware does a very good job of both.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!