What's new

What is Optimize AMPDU aggregation and Optimize ack suppression for?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've been through all the settings in my RT-N66U running latest Merlin and left with two settings I do not know and can't find much information on. They are:

Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression

Could someone please enlighten me on these and when they should/could be used?

A bump to this thread. Would love to know what the "optimize ack suppression" option does. Disabled by default.

You can find quite some by Google, search for "A MPDU aggregation" (mind the space) and "ack suppression", both give quite some hits.
It is worth to experiment with it and may enhance the data troughput (on 802.11n mainly) , but dont expect miracles :)

You can find quite some by Google, search for "A MPDU aggregation" (mind the space) and "ack suppression", both give quite some hits.
It is worth to experiment with it and may enhance the data troughput (on 802.11n mainly) , but dont expect miracles :)
My googling brought me generally useless results, but it did lead me to this forum post, which is why I bumped the thread. I figured that if anyone knew, people here would!

Pasting text from the Internet makes no sense, I believes the following links give quite a good explanation (those are not straight forward, simple nor magic settings):

It was mentioned before, these are quite fuzzy settings, probably brought to the GUI because the Broadcom chipset supports it, I assume mostly to allow Tech Support to advise to enable or disable those to see if it brings any performance enhancement.

Pasting text from the Internet makes no sense, I believes the following links give quite a good explanation (those are not straight forward, simple nor magic settings):

It was mentioned before, these are quite fuzzy settings, probably brought to the GUI because the Broadcom chipset supports it, I assume mostly to allow Tech Support to advise to enable or disable those to see if it brings any performance enhancement.

This is an old thread, however, still valuable. I wanted to comment that communities such as StackOverflow and it's parent StackExchange _require_ answers to consist of pasted information from the Internet. The reason for this is that URL's have a tremendous tendency of no longer being available. It just so happens you've used two links which aren't likely to stop working, but all it would take is for them to rename the page, the url or anything else and the information you've attempted to give is no longer valuable as no one can access those links.

I appreciate it when people post the answer's directly. Whether it be a copy from another website, their own answer, or a mixture. Including only links will eventually result in no valuable information being available.

It is nice to reply to a 3 year old post, with still valid links.
I disagree with your opinion, as this forum and many others are quite volatile, meaning that topics and replies do age quick and are not really intended to help people for ages.
New firmware versions and new hardware does quickly lead to outdated answers and solutions.
Making reference to other sources on the Internet is what made Internet big, some call it hyperlinks.
My links, like many others are the result of using an Internet search engine and some filtering by the one who post the link.
Links usually brings you to further reference information, with pictures, tables or even more links.

Including only links will eventually result in no valuable information being available.
I'd have to respectful disagree, within the context of this topic, for the reasons given by @wouterv.

I'd add that in the case of immutable facts it is better to link to the authoritative source. Other information (like Wikipedia) can contain errors and changes (hopefully improves) over time. In these cases it is better to link to the most recent version rather than propagating out of date or incorrect information across the internet (there's enough of that already ;))

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!