What's new

What is the newest 6 bay from synology?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingeborgdot

Regular Contributor
I bought a NAS a bunch of years ago but came to find out that within 5 years of owning it was end of life and no more support. I don't like to have anything like that so I'm trying to find a NAS that has a greater potential of lasting longer without going through another EOL. Does anyone know what the latest 6 bay model is or could you steer me to where I can look to find out? Thanks.

I bought a NAS a bunch of years ago but came to find out that within 5 years of owning it was end of life and no more support. I don't like to have anything like that so I'm trying to find a NAS that has a greater potential of lasting longer without going through another EOL. Does anyone know what the latest 6 bay model is or could you steer me to where I can look to find out? Thanks.

Synology web site is always a good place to start!

You want a piece of consumer electronics to have full support longer than 5 years? You sometimes can't even get that out of enterprise gear. Good luck with the search...I would assume it will be quite the hunt to meet that requirement.

When I say support, I mean that you will get updates to the software. I don't expect customer support for that long, although I think Synology is 5 years for the warranty. I've had many products that more than 5 years of updates on the product. I just bought a product that was an older model and didn't realize it. I'll be more careful this time.

My advice, stick with a major player like Synology or QNAP. Look for a unit on an updated platform. This will increase the likelihood of support longevity. Also take a look at some of the lower end and more common units and check if they follow a common firmware kernel.

I know that is more or less what you already said you were doing, and I don't know a specific model to suggest.

A lot depends on how you are to use the unit. I have some 10 (?) year old D-Link units that still run great that I use 24/7, I just don't expose them to the internet as there hasn't been an update in a very long time. But, they still serve the purpose I purchased them for.

That is what I am going to be doing with my Synology 1010+. Using it as a backup to my backup. I'm just trying to figure out their numbering system. Does 1618+ mean it came out in 18? Not a question to you but just a question to maybe ask Synology tomorrow.

I got the DS1618+. Now for the setup.