What's new

What is the newest kernel used on ASUS devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
What is the newest linux kernel being used on ASUS routers? I believe I might know the answer from looking and I assume it’s kernel version 4.4, but was unsure if latest HND routers use anything newer. Was interested in checking if any of the ASUS routers were vulnerable to the new Linux vulnerability called Dirty Pipe which effects all Linux Kernals 5.8 and greater.

“Dirty Pipe”CVE-2022-0847​

Last edited:
Code:
cat //proc//version
Thanks, checked mine Linux Kernal 4.1.51 on GT-AX11000.. I know security patches are back ported if relevant, but still wild to think ASUS is using EOL kernels. Unable to check if something newer is using a more modern kernel. Kernel 4.4 seems likely from what I read of at least one model.

FYI,
The Dirty Pipe Vulnerability

The vulnerability first appeared in the Linux kernel 5.8 version which was released in August 2020. The vulnerability was fixed with the release of kernel 5.16.11, 5.15.25, and 5.10.102 versions.

I don't know if any ASUS routers use kernel 5.8 or later versions.
Thanks. Yeah 5.16 (5.17 is latest unstable) just came out and I know they are currently rolling out patches for older versions the vulnerability however was discovered recently as 2021 and patched in 2022. Just recent enough not all vendors have reacted was just curious if it affects ASUS routers. My Asustor NAS just got hit by a deadbolt randomware kinda paying more attention to company’s not patching security fixes.

Last edited:
... but still wild to think ASUS is using EOL kernels. Unable to check if something newer is using a more modern kernel. Kernel 4.4 seems likely from what I read of at least one model.
... Just recent enough not all vendors have reacted was just curious if it affects ASUS routers.
Yeah, every company has its own rules & policies about when to upgrade, or when to patch their own equipment and products. For example, at work, our IT folks looked into this. Almost all of our Linux-based s/w development systems & servers are using kernel 5.4 to 5.6 versions with some critical patches made & applied in-house; only a handful of systems were found to have the 5.10 kernel or a later version, so the impact is minimal. They will very likely get patched within the next week or so.

Recently, the company has been looking to upgrade all our Linux-based systems to 5.15 kernel, once our IT "gods" (a term of "endearment" we use around here just to tease them) give their full "blessings" after the required testing & vetting process is performed. This type of major transition/upgrade unavoidably moves at glacial speeds because of such a large number of systems involved, and one of the top priorities being "not to interfere with, delay, or hinder our product development & delivery operations in any way." And that's why major equipment upgrades are not done often.

Upgrading products with embedded Linux kernels is even more stringent & time-consuming because of the possible interdependencies with 3rd-party modules, drivers, SDKs, etc. so it's rarely done. Patching the kernel is more likely to be done when possible and when deemed necessary or critical for the functionality and/or security of the product. Obviously, each vendor is free to decide when a kernel vulnerability meets that criteria.

Last edited:
Kernels never get updated with embedded devices that rely on specialized SoCs. This isn't unique to Asus or even to router manufacturers - it's also the same for Android smartphones.

Instead, security patches get backported as needed.

The newest kernel used by Broadcom's SoC is currently 4.19, used by the GT-AX6000 and Zen Wifi XT12.