What's new

What is the Pathname to Connect a Chromebook to an Asus File Share?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Klueless

Very Senior Member
I started with Asus stock, then upgraded to Merlin on my RT-AC1900P. Media Share and File Share now work flawlessly (so far : -) with my Windows 10 client.

I go to my Chromebook, hit "Files", it loads loads "Network File Share for Chrome OS" which then asks me for:
  • Share Path
  • Display Name (optional)
  • Username
  • Password
I've tried slashes, backslashes, smb; almost every suggestion I can find on the Internet but I can't seem to come up with the magic combination for Share Path. I always get a "can't mount" message.
smb://192.168.1.1/Docs
\\RT-AC1900P-ABCD\Docs
etc, etc, etc ...​

My Asus Configuration looks like:
  • Media Server
    • Enable iTunes => On
    • iTunes Server Name => RT-AC1900P-ABCD
    • Enable UPnP Media Server => On
    • Media Server Name ==> RT-AC1900P-ABCD
    • Path Setting => All Disks Shared
  • Network Place (Samba) Share
    • Enable Share => On
    • Allow guest login => Off
    • Concurrent connections => 5 (defaut)
    • Device Name => RT-AC1900P-ABCD
    • Work Group => WORKGROUP (default)
    • Simpler share naming => Yes
    • NTFS Sparse Files Support => Enable
  • Users
    • Admin - R/W
    • klueless - R/W
  • Structure
    • RT-AC1900P-ABCD
    • Lexa USB Flash Drive
    • Family
    • Docs
Any suggestions what to use for "Path Name"?

Last edited:
Can you ping the IP address of the share?

What do the ASUS logs tell you?

Can you ping the IP address of the share?
Didn't know I could "ping" from a Chomebook. Turns out you can. I can ping to 192.168.1.1 (address of my Asus) and I can ping to RT-AC1900P-ABCD.
What do the ASUS logs tell you??
Nothing. No entries when I ping from either device. No entries when I connect from Windows and no entries when I try to connect from my Chromebook. Just a couple of DHCP requests from a different device.

Last edited:
Pathname should be something like this (apparently)
\\RT-AC66U\Movies
Saw that site and derived several ideas from it including:
smb://192.168.1.1/Docs
\\RT-AC1900P-ABCD\Docs​
I'm certainly living down to my name : -(

I don't have Chrome OS so can only go by what I've seen on the internet, but all the blogs and YouTube videos I've seen use the same format. So I'd suggest your problem is something else.

If there's nothing helpful in /var/log.samba try increasing the logging level. Create a /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "log level = 0" "log level = 2" $CONFIG

I don't have Chrome OS so can only go by what I've seen on the internet, but all the blogs and YouTube videos I've seen use the same format. So I'd suggest your problem is something else.
If there's nothing helpful in /var/log.samba try increasing the logging level. Create a /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
pc_replace "log level = 0" "log level = 2" $CONFIG
Ouch, my head hurts ...

I found this note;

"I installed Debian to my NAS box, installed Samba 4.5.8, and then everything works fine.
So I guess there's some incompatibility with old Samba 3.6.x, and the Google team couldn't spend their time to support it anymore."

Looks like we're running 3.6 on Asus/Merlin. I enabled smb2 (just in case). Still no luck.

This guy seems happy too.

"I've actually had good luck with Network File Share for Chrome OS. I can easily stream HD video from my Synology NAS. Like powermatt, I can also access my files through the Synology NAS if I want to."

Synology runs Samba 4.4

I might just be SOL ... for now ...

Last edited:
Weird...

\\HOSTNAME\share usually works - if you need credentials, it's case sensitive...

Take the dashes out of the HOSTNAME - trust me on this, as they're handled differently between windows and linux..

Screenshot 2017-12-12 at 4.06.55 PM.png

Also \\<hostip addr>\share

also works - just make sure that the userid has permissions for that share on the host.

Also \\<hostip addr>\share ... also works - just make sure that the userid has permissions for that share on the host.
Thank you ... I've tried the IP address, no luck.
Take the dashes out of the HOSTNAME - trust me on this, as they're handled differently between windows and linux..
The dashes were generated by Asus. I think I can over ride, I'll try tomorrow.

The Asus guide led me to believe that FAT32 was preferred but that NTFS was ok. My PC would only format exFAT or NTFS. I tried formatting FAT32 from the command line but it failed (not the command but the result). So NTFS it was.

With everything else failing I went back to Tim's post:
It worked!!! Google's version was widely praised. This one was panned but this one was the one that worked! Thank you Tim, thank you, thank you. Beers are on me!